Priming With Honey?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbwuebben

Reaction score
I have a batch of NUT brown ale going right now in the fermentor. It has about a week left to go before botteling. I have a supply of honey. Ive never primed with honey before. Does anyone have any insight on this? Is nut brown an ok beer to prime with honey or not? How do you go about preparing the honey?

I provide info on priming with alternative primers including fruit juice (including the link to the podcast,) and other sugars in my bottling stickey- Scroll to the lower half of this post.

It will show you how to figure out how much you need based on any nutritional info you can find.

There's also a chart in that post that shows how much honey, maple syrup table sugar you would use.

3 tablespoons per gallon is the standard...but I use 4 and I only use honey now...I heat up the honey in a small amount of water and swirl the pot for a while...let it cool while swirling...once its at room temperature I add the the beer, try to get a whirlpool effect to mix the honey well but I don't have any problems.

Depending on your brand of honey, you may get a very different result than with sugar.
Honey contains amylase, so if it's not denatured, it can keep working on any unfermentable sugars and starches left in your beer.

Back