Priming tips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

astacey1403

Reaction score
Hey every one, I had a quick question about priming. The last brew I made was my first all grain beer and for what ever reason I could not get it to prime for me. After a few weeks (4+) it finally got some carb to it but it was not nearly enough. I am going to be bottling a pumpkin ale this weekend and was planning on trying something different. I was either going to cold crash in primary and re pitch a different yeast with priming sugar to carb, or try out the carb tabs. Any tips or advise would be great thanks.

definitely measure priming sugar by weight, not volume.

that priming calculator eadavis80 linked is a good one. there can be some disagreement over what it means by "current temperature of beer" : some would use the cold crash temp, I use the highest temp the beer attained.

keep bottles at 70-75° F

if you've done everything right, but it's still undercarbed, try this: invert the bottles for 3 days, back right-side-up for 3 days, then chill for 3 days. helps sometimes

I try to aim for a higher carbonation, I've primed up to 3.5 vols with no bottles bombs or gushers

I us an online calculator and for the batch that did not prim I was shooting for a fairly high carb profile (primed at 68 degrees F). I did not re pitch for that one and I was thinking that's the reason why it did not carb for me but I'm not sure. I want this pumpkin ale to be perfect as far as carb profile goes and I will be giving it 3 weeks for priming and conditioning in the bottle. I haven't used the tabs before and iv heard they work well I just like traditional priming for what ever reason.

I use the online calculators, but always go with a little more sugar than suggested, usually 20% more or so.

Giving the bottles a swirl definitively helps to get the settled yeast back into suspension. Warmer temps also help. I bottle condition in the garage which routinely gets into the low 90's.

I use
¾ cup corn sugar or cane sugar
1 cup malt extract or ½ cup of honey
2 cups of water

I use the tabs for my lady's cysers/ciders. They work really well for that. Think I will try them in a few bottles of beer next go round.

I use
¾ cup corn sugar or cane sugar
1 cup malt extract or ½ cup of honey
2 cups of water

I used to do it this way because Charlie P told me to do it that way 22 years ago

& was the way I did it when I restarted brewing 4 years ago

That resulted in some seriously undercarbed batches until I started weighing my priming sugar

Latest posts

Back