priming sugers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mainebeerman

Reaction score
I'd like to get away from the processed white priming suger that ive used so far. I just make 5 gal batches and would like to use either malt or honey. Does any one have any experieince with this that will work without creating the infamous bottle rockets?

thanks

Steve

I use 1.25 cups extra light DME for a five gallon batch. Wait at least two weeks before attempting to taste, three is better.

- magno

When you speak of white priming sugar, you mean corn sugar? As magno noted, you can use 1.25 cups (as opposed to .75 corn sugar) of DME, but it *will* take longer.

I thought corn sugar was not supposed to impart any offflavors in the brew? Table sugar, yes; corn sugar, no?

White Table Sugar mostly comes from sugar beets and is known as Surcrose. It's suppose to give your beer off flavors, or even a cidery taste if you use it to prime your beers for bottling.
Corn Sugar is Dextros, and is using for priming in many brew recipies. Normally does not cause any off flavors or make the brew cidery. The rule of thumb is generally 3/4 cups or 4 ounces of corn sugar to 5 gallons of brew for priming.
Using DME, you have to increase the amount to about 1 1/4 cups for priming, and it will give you a more malty flavor, and suppose to give you better heads on your beers, but will take 1 to 2 weeks extra to carbonate the beer.
I've actually tried light brown sugar on one of my ales and it worked great with no off flavors or cidery taste, and it took the same amount of time to carbonate as corn sugar.

ok i kind of have a 1/2:off: question.

If I am using a 5G carboy for my secondary, and I am about to bottle a hefe, how do I stir the priming extract without getting a ton of air into my beer? I only have one primary, which is currently being used, but I could probably rack that beer to secondary by wed. (which is when I wanted to bottle by). Should I rack my hefe to my primary and add the extract there? or is there an easy way to mix the extract in the carboy? Thanks.

Cheers :mug:

well i used 6 oz net weight of honey mixed with 1.5 cups of boiled cooled water for a 5 gallon batch. The Ipa gives a great head 1 month after being bottled. it was drinkable in 2 weeks. It wont last to see how it ages over time:)

steve

Back