Priming Sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tahlorn

Reaction score
Apologies if this was posted/asked before and I am repreating.

Bottling my third batch on wednesday. What is the standard amount of sugar one should put in a standard bottle for priming? I posted a while back about having too much head (acted like a shaked up champange bttle when opened), and was told that the brew store owner had told me to use too much sugar for priming, so want to make sure I do this right.

Don't do each bottle.

Boil about a cup of water, and add about 3/4 cup (for 5 US gal) of dextrose to it, then add that to your batch before you bottle. Much easier, cleaner, and more consistent.

If you are bottling the entire batch then boil 3/4 C Corn Sugar in 2 C water for 5 mins.

Add it all to your filled bottling bucket while stirring.

Fill about 6-10 bottles and re-stir. Repeat the process.

Sample a bottle in about 7-10 days. Once the beer reaches an acceptable carbonation level (of your choice) then place all the bottles in the fridge to stop the process. Leave them there a couple more days to cold condition then enjoy!

homebrewer_99 said:
If you ware bottling the entire batch then boil 3/4 C Corn Sugar in 2 C water for 5 mins.

Add it all to your filled bottling bucket while stirring.

Fill about 6-10 bottles and re-stir. Repeat the process.

Sample a bottle in about 7-10 days. Once the beer reaches an acceptable carbonation... enjoy!

Repeat, not as in adding more sugar right? Sasquatch up there said to add it only once (3/4 cup, much less than the 2 cups my brew store owner told), so I am figuring that is what is supposed to be done. I am assuming you are saying repeat as in reheat and stir so that the sugar remains distributed, not setting on the bottom.

And I will be certain to fridge it so it doesn't become too carbonated.

tahlorn said:
Repeat, not as in adding more sugar right? Sasquatch up there said to add it only once (3/4 cup, much less than the 2 cups my brew store owner told), so I am figuring that is what is supposed to be done. I am assuming you are saying repeat as in reheat and stir so that the sugar remains distributed, not setting on the bottom.

And I will be certain to fridge it so it doesn't become too carbonated.
by "repeat" he means to fill about 6-10 more bottles and stir...that's the only part of the process that's repeated... no reheating...

3\4 of a cup of corn sugar should do a nice job. Add it to the bottling bucket and then siphon is how most folks do it. Don't reheat anything once you add the priming sugar just gently stir the brew every so often to keep the sugar in evenly distributed.

theres no way he told you 2 cups, unless it was a joke. he probably said 3/4 c. + 2 cups h20...if not i would never go back to that place ever...

Bjorn Borg said:
theres no way he told you 2 cups, unless it was a joke. he probably said 3/4 c. + 2 cups h20...if not i would never go back to that place ever...

*checks handout given* 1 cup, my mistake, worknig from old memories. Was something like 2 tsp I heard for a bottle, so that is where the number came from.

if i put the sugar water in the bottling bucket first, then put the siphone hose down in the water will this mix evenly?

Back