Priming Sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaazmar

Reaction score
My buddy and I have just been dumping in dry priming sugar right out of the bag into the bottling bucket, stirring, and bottling. I see some people make a boiled mixture of sugar and water and add that. We've not had any problems with carbonation or contamination. Is it necessary to boil the dextrose?

J
:drunk:

Its considered 'good practice' by a lot of us. basically you're sanitizing it...removing a possible source of contamination.
it also makes it easier to mix when its two liquids.

I usually use 2 cups of tap water, boil 10 minutes. then i cool it quickly in the sink.

I also stir the bucket every 12 bottles, very gently, just to make sure things are staying mixed up. I'm a little OCD in my beer making. most find the natural stirring caused by racking yields even carbonation.

I was preparing to boil my priming sugar and dumped the sack into the pot and ants had snuck their way into the bag. A waste of sugar but better than risking 5 gallons of beer. Unlikely, but just another precaution to boil your priming sugar.

I boiled my sugar twice when I first started out brewing. The batches never carbed well. Now I know that makes no sense, but ever since then, I have just weighed the sugar out according to this and it has been just right ever since.

i boil mainly for the mixing reason. and i only just boil, so i dont get any caramelization. i've been using wheat LME for my wheat beers lately, and on the pumpkin wheat i just brewed i sparged about a gallon extra while the wort was getting boiling and set that aside to boil down for priming. there's a word for that and i cant remember it. speise maybe?

Latest posts

Back