Priming sugar calc.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mookie

Reaction score
Using beersmith. What temp do I want to input when calculating the amount of priming sugar/DME. In the past I have used 68F which is my beer storage temp, but seem to get high carbonation. Should the temp be the temp that I plan to drink at (ie something more like 38F) This would bring the amount of sugar down by about 20 to 30 percent??

Thanks,
Mookie

I always bottle around 68F and let it carb at that temp. Measure by weight not volume so you can dial in you carb levels.

Using beersmith. What temp do I want to input when calculating the amount of priming sugar/DME. In the past I have used 68F which is my beer storage temp, but seem to get high carbonation. Should the temp be the temp that I plan to drink at (ie something more like 38F) This would bring the amount of sugar down by about 20 to 30 percent??

Thanks,
Mookie

I'm pretty sure its storage temp:mug:

If I understand the chart in Brewing Classic Styles, the calculators need to know what temperature the beer is when you actually bottle it, because that determines how much co2 is already dissolved in it.

Remember, carbonation is retained better in colder beer than warmer beer. Your fermented wort still has some residual co2 in it...the warmer the beer, the more co2 is lost. Maybe you ferment your lager at 55, but when you warm it for the diactyl rest, you loose carnation. So, you calculate your priming sugar on the highest temp fermentation completed at. If you warm that lager for the rest, but the beer hasn't finished fermentation when you begin the lagering phase you then complete fermentation a the colder temp, allowing the beer to retain co2

Look up a carbonation chart, or find kaiser's carbonation sheet

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=Accurately_Calculating_Sugar_Additions_for_Carbonation

You should be able to calculate co2 every time!

A lot of tables/calculators tell you to enter the temperature of the beer when you are bottling it.

BUT, wouldn't it make more sense to type in the maximum temperature you beer reached during fermentation? If more CO2 is lost at higher temps, the CO2 doesn't just come back into solution when the temp lowers, does it? My question really refers to, say, if you do a diacetyl rest for a lager, bringing the temp up to 68 F, and then you lager it at 32 F for a couple months. Wouldn't it be more accurate, therefore, to enter a temp of 68 F for bottling calculators?

Yep, he's right. If you ferment at 68F and then cold crash the fermentor in the refrigerator at 36F then enter 68F in the priming calculator. On the other hand if you ferment at 54F and then warm the beer up for a few days to 68F then enter 68F in the priming calculator.

Generally,they want the highest fermentation temperature. I usually enterthe temp the beer is at currently & it works fine.

Back