Priming Solution per Bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HuggerOrange

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I need a little help and wanted to see if anyone knew the answer off the top of their head. Here's the short version of the story - My brother and I go to a BOP every 3 or 4 months with some friends and brew a couple batches. It's more expensive than doing it at home, but we make a day of it and it's usually a lot of fun because someone else is worries about sanitizing, cooling the wort, etc. The last time we went my brother decided he wanted to Chocolate Stout, which he did and it turned out great except for one problem - the genius at the BOP forgot to add priming sugar to the keg and it's as flat as Texas. We waited a month to see if maybe it was us, but nope. We went back to complain and the owner gave us the option of trying to save it by popping the tops, add priming sugar and recaping them. Now I know that it's 5 oz. or 3/4 of a cup of priming sugar and 2 cups of water per 5 gallons, but that's easy when you put it in the bottling bucket, add the beer and bottle (you don't have to measure per bottle). My question then is is there a per bottle measurement (a teaspoon of solution?) per 22 oz. bottle that I can add to give it the proper carbination? I tried doing the math, but it hurt my brain so I'm going to have a beer and hope one of you has the answer. Thanks in advance.

Melana said:
That's the solution he gave you? He didn't offer you a discount off of a future brew?

No, she actually gave us a $50 gift certificate and if this doesn't work we can rebrew it. I just figure it's worth a shot. Besides she's a very nice lady and I've known her a long time.

Ó Flannagáin said:
Just pour it into a bucket, prime it, then bottle it like usual. Might want to add some more yeast since it's been so long.

I thought about doing that, but I'm worried about aerating the beer too much. One thought I did have was carb drops, but I've heard they're not that great and it's another $20 investment (We have about 12 gallons of beer so 2 bags of drops plus shipping).

HuggerOrange said:
No, she actually gave us a $50 gift certificate and if this doesn't work we can rebrew it. I just figure it's worth a shot. Besides she's a very nice lady and I've known her a long time.

Cool. Sounds like she did right by you.

HuggerOrange said:
I thought about doing that, but I'm worried about aerating the beer too much. One thought I did have was carb drops, but I've heard they're not that great and it's another $20 investment (We have about 12 gallons of beer so 2 bags of drops plus shipping).

If you transfer like any normal batch you don't have to worry about aeration. Just make sure you have a but up to a racking cane and that tube hits the bottom of the bottling bucket you will be fine.

Back