Priming before Fining, or do both in one step ? .

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cervezero1960

Reaction score
:confused: I have been brewing my 5 gallon batch IPA in a carboy for 10 days. In 4 days I will rack all my brew minus the yeast cake at the bottom of the fermenter to a 5 gallon keg, in which I will add the corn sugar and put it back in the refrigerator set at 68 F and let it carbonate for two weeks. The beer looks pretty cloudy in the Carboy and I doubt, it will ever clear up after the priming. This is the reason I want to do the gelatin treatment, after the carbonation period, in which I will cold crash the beer to 35 F, open the Keg and add the gelatin solution, close it back up and let it rest for 2 more weeks in the fridge at 35 F and hopefully I will enjoy crystal clear and bubbly IPA. Taste and aroma are the most important attributes that I am looking for in my IPA, but clarity is equally important for aesthetic reasons . My question is, can I do the priming and fining in one step or should I do it this way ?. I am afraid that the gelatin will precipitate my residual yeast and the beer wont carbonate properly. What have you experienced on this matter, any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it and thanks in advance for your input.

Back