Priming Beer in bottles Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salmonclubber

Reaction score
Hello newbie here i am on my second batch using MrBeer LBK I bottled my second batch of beer in 750ml bottles added 1/2 teaspoon powdered dextrose the bottles have been sitting for a week and are still soft and not solid like they are when your beer is fully carbonated can i do anything about this or is it a loss Thank you for your help

a 1/2 tsp might be a lil light adding it directly like that. Plus the temp you're carbing/conditioning them at matters as well. It should be about 70F for three weeks on average. Bulk priming is easier, especially when making a priming solution. Then bottle size doesn't matter.

I let mine sit for about 3 weeks or so, depends on the yeast. a week is not that long so I would just leave it be for at least a second full week.
also adding sugar directly to bottles is not recommended, if you go that rout it is worth getting some carb drops for consistency.

ok guys thank you I think the temp in the bottling room was a little low havent been home for a couple days will see what happens in another week if the sugar is not enough to carbonate this batch is there anything i can do to save this batch

Don't add a thing until you hit 3 weeks, why risk opening every beer to oxygen and bacteria nasties when the beer shouldn't even be fully carbed after a week. Even if you undercarbed see where the beer is before you start freaking out.

You're in the home stretch, put the bottles in a 70-78 degree room, in the dark and forget about em just like you forgot about the crush you had on fat amy in the 8th grade.
-ted

I had a similar issue with a recent batch. Although I did a dextrose solution in a bottling bucket, the bottles weren't hard for a while. I turned the heat up a little bit (it was a little cooler than I wanted). Went for a full 3 weeks instead of the week and a half, and they are much better. Fully carbonated when I drink them.

The biggest thing I'm learning with making beer - patience. That's why I'm going to cycle 2 batches (using a secondary) with 5 gallon batches. Always have some available.

ok guys I didnt add anymore sugar and I moved the beer to a different room where it is more of a constant temp the bottles are getting there will give it another week or two thanks for the help
Oh and Amy was not fat she was pudgy and i almost had her talked into going out with me :)

Back