Priming au naturel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barracudamagoo

Reaction score
I caught myself 3 bottles in; however, at first I forgot to add my priming sugar. This gives me 3 bottles that do not have priming sugar added to them. I have read before that over time, they will carbonate; however, it will take a long time, and the carbonation will be limited. I am presuming this will take months, perhaps a year or more, before I will see a reasonable amount of carbonation. Has anyone else done this, and approximately how long did it take? I am thinking I will crack the first one at 6 months, the second at a year, and the last maybe at 2 years (if I can wait that long).

I wouldn't bother waiting. They probably will never carb adequately because the yeast have already consumed all of the fermentable sugars. Get some Munton's Carb Tabs or Cooper's Carbonation Drops and plop the required quantity into each bottle.

I don't know that they would really carb up. The carbonation comes from the addition of sugars to restart fermentation which would build up pressure in the bottle that equalizes and causes the carbonation. I would pop the caps add some carb tabs and re-cap with some new caps.

Back