Priming and existing yeast viability

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Indiana Red

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Im about to bottle this pear/apple cider that has been in secondary for a couple weeks outside 30-40F aprox 6% and 1.000
I see a little "fallout" in the carboy.
Do you think I should introduce more yeast at the same time I put in the corn sugar priming solution ?
Or maybe just rely on the little bit at the bottom that will inevitably find its way o the priming bucket.
I suppose it wouldn't hurt. I would probably use this packet of SafCider Ive had for a while.

I recently bottled my first batch of cider.

Added a little bit of yeast with the priming sugar solution just to be safe. I'm not sure if it was smart. Asking in this forum I was told that it should not be necessary if the cider had been less than 5 month in the secondary, but could be done just tp be safe.
Poured boiling water of the sugar to dissolve and sterilize, when temperature dropped to 30C i added like 1/4 teaspoon of dry SafCider yeast. When it reached room temperature I mixed it with the cider that I had just racked into a third vessel to bottle from.

The bottles now have a bit of sediment in the bottom. Not enough to cover the bottom but 1 mm layer along the edges.
Is this something that is bound to happen when bottle carbonising, is it due to the extra yeast i added, or just because I didn't rack it well enough?

There will always be sediment when bottle carbonating. It's unavoidable.

FYI, if you want to add yeast you should definitely not add it directly to the priming sugar solution. The osmotic shock will damage or kill the yeast.
I recommend to rehydrate it separately and add halfway through racking.

In other words, you should always use good rehydration technique, avoiding shear stress, osmotic shock, and thermal shock, and avoid a prolonged period without giving the yeast sugar. Otherwise the extra yeast you add will just contribute to the development of autolysis flavors (which isn't necessarily bad, but might not be what you want).

Cheers

Latest posts

Back