Priming a Triple

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsb

Reaction score
I am getting ready soon to bottle a Belgian Triple, my first beer in years. I know that Belgian Ales are typically high in carbonation, and that Williams Brewing, who produced the kit, claims to typically under carbonate their Belgians (although I can no longer find that reference).

The carbonation calculators that I have used all indicate that Belgians typically use 1.9 to 2.4 volumes of CO2, and that is accomplished with ~ 3 to 4 ounces of priming sugar for 5 gallons @ 70 degrees.

The kit came with 3oz of corn sugar, which I feel is insufficient for the job. I would like to supplement with an additional ounce of table sugar which I have on hand. The questions I have are:

Is it ok to mix the two sugars for this task? I would assume so.

When calculating the amount of sugar, should I use the temp at which the beer will be conditioned or the temp it will be served? I assume the conditioning temp.

To address any bottle bomb concerns, this will be bottled in 750ml Belgian Ale bottles with corks and wire baskets.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I primed 6 gallons of Tripel (9.4% abv) with 5 oz of sucrose and it acheived the CO2 I was after. Yes, you can mix the sugars w/o issue. From what I've read, sucrose is somewhat more fermentable than dextrose so this will weigh in as well. Use your conditioning temp for your calculations. Good luck and enjoy!

Back