Priming 1L bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MasterWan

Reaction score
Hello, I hope I didn't just blow 8 liters of imperial Blond Ale.

I searched all over for priming sugar instructions for 1 liter bottles and finally found one post that suggested 2 tsp per bottle of priming sugar. I used this ammount in all 8 bottles. Ofcourse I couldn't wait longer than 5 days before I opend one to try out the beer, and it was flat. It seemed to have the smallest ammount of carbonation but nothing really.

Did I use tooo little sugar? Did I just not wait long enough? The alcohol content of the brew is 7.5%. Is it too high to allow for yeast activity?

Thanks for the help in advance.

No you didn't wait long enough. Also, with high ABV and larger quantity it could take a week or two longer than the normal 3 weeks @ 70° that an average 12 ounce bottle takes.

You might want to check into priming the batch in bulk for better consistency and safety. It is way too easy to get too much sugar in a bottle and cause a bottle bomb by priming bottles individually.

You can prime 1L bottles the same way you prime any other bottles. Put the priming sugar in your bottling bucket.

5 days isn't long enough to get good carbonation.

Are these PET (Plastic) bottles? If they are, you can guess the carbonation by how hard they feel. If you hold it in your hand and it is almost rock hard you are good to go. And after realising what i just wrote, I'm not going to rephrase that. ;)

Thanks for the help everyone. I am using glass 1l bottles by the way. I didn't want to bottle the whole batch, just 2 gallons of it or so cause I usually keg. Since it is higher gravity I didnt want to be married to a high gravity beer in the kegerator. I will give the bottles a few more weeks.

The beer turned out awesome by the way, even though it was flat. I just used the Imperial Blond kit from American Brewer. :mug:

Back