Primary vs Secondary yeast cake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmoore714

Reaction score
I've heard people talk about saving their yeast cake from sour beers and pitching another batch on top of it. Just wondering if that's the primary or secondary cake?

I have a batch of Flanders Red (my first sour) in primary right now. I pitched Roesalare and a pack of US-05 at the same time. Figured on fermenting for a week and then transferring to secondary for the long haul.

I know the bugs will do most of their magic in secondary - but this primary yeast cake will certainly be innoculated as well. Just wondering if I should save that and pitch something on it. Or just dump it and keep the secondary cake (when its done).

either way will work equally well. i've fermented a 5 gallon sour with just the dregs from a bottle of jolly pumpkin, no starter, so any sour yeast cake should work.

either way will work equally well. i've fermented a 5 gallon sour with just the dregs from a bottle of jolly pumpkin, no starter, so any sour yeast cake should work.

Veering off topic here, but how long did it take to really get going / ferment out?

Veering off topic here, but how long did it take to really get going / ferment out?

all of my sours have been in the fermentor for at least a year and ended up around 1.008 - 1.006. the dregs only batch had a bubbly pellicle starting about 6-7 days out.

Back