Primary Pilsner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mobstar

Reaction score
Is there any activity when fermenting with Lager yeast in the primary??
I'm getting zero action and It's sitting at about 13 degrees at the moment.
Been well over 24hrs and still no foaming action... it's just sitting still..

I'm tempted to use my heat belt but am afraid to get off flavors from the yeast.

I'm using Activator yeast... Pilsner 2007

Thank you!

starting gravity? how much yeast did you pitch?

really...no matter the answers to those questions...relax. its probably fine. give it another day.

Lagers need about twice as much yeast as ales, when pitched cold. If you didn't make a BIG starter or pitch three or four packages, you're going to have a long wait.

Wait at least 72 hours before worrying! It'll probably take that long to get going.

starting gravity? how much yeast did you pitch?

really...no matter the answers to those questions...relax. its probably fine. give it another day.

Really?? more than one packet?? wow.. it's $9+tax for one..
The yeast has a built in activator.. they call it a smack pack.

The starting gravity was a little weak.. roughly 1.040.
was aiming for 1.056

Thanks!

yes, really.... check mrmalty.com for pitching rate calc.
good luck!

Thanks for the link!
I got home from work and ran down to my basement. To my surprise.. IT'S ALIVE!

I guess I was just paranoid since I never had to wait more than 12hrs to see yeast working as this is my first attempt at Pilsner/Lager.

Is there any activity when fermenting with Lager yeast in the primary??
I'm getting zero action and It's sitting at about 13 degrees at the moment.
Been well over 24hrs and still no foaming action... it's just sitting still..

I'm tempted to use my heat belt but am afraid to get off flavors from the yeast.

I'm using Activator yeast... Pilsner 2007

Thank you!

I brewed a Coopers IPA last week and it came with a special yeast that fermented a 17 to 32 degrees . They also said in the instructions the lower end around 21 was ideal but it would ferment as low a 13 degrees. I put it away on my breezway where I coud eaisily controll the temp. After 36 hrs no action from the airlock. I needed to move it because the temp was going to drop below freezing for two to three days so I wraped some seran wrap around the lid to seal it and sure enough I got bubbles, but the next morn it was done. I waited two more days and nothing happened. I wasn't intending to take the lid off for at least 8 or 10 days so I mixed a half teaspoon of yeast nutrient and boiled it in the microwave, cooled it, dumpet it in through my airlock, gave it a little swirle, and right away started getting bubbles. It's been going ever since at about 20 degrees. I'm going to let it go untill it quits bubbleing for a couple days and then get a gravity reading.

Back