Primary fermentation...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrishOdell

Reaction score
I've had my brew, an Irish Stout, in my one gallon carboy for the "usual" 2 weeks. I was hoping to bottle today, but I noticed that there's still a bit of bubble action going on. While I enjoy that entertainment I want to drink my beer!![emoji3] My wife and I think I should let it continue in the primary fermentation carboy for at least another week... Are we right or should I go ahead with bottling/conditioning my brew? Thanks for any input!!
Slainte

Unless it is a high alcohol stout, it is almost certainly finished fermenting. Chances are the bubbles are out-gassing CO2 coming out of solution due to minute pressure changes. If it's looking settled and easy to rack off the yeast/trub, I'd go for it. Of course you can also check gravity, but the 1 gallon size makes it tough to waste even a half cup for the hydrometer.

Outstanding! Thanks for the advice!! I'll start bottling tonight and start the countdown to drinking day! 🍻
Slainte

Yes to both, it's quite dark, but appears very clear. Thanks!
Slainte

Back