Primary fermentation temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

isaac89

Reaction score
I don't have a way to check my temps yet other then the thermostat which say my house is around 70c but I felt the sides of my fermentor am its a little cool to the touch do you thinks its ok? O yes I forgot I'm just brewing coopers lager extract with a ale yeast.

Is it in a water bath? I used to use a floating thermometer in the water but found the beer was still about 5* warmer than that after getting fermometers attached.

I don't have a way to check my temps yet other then the thermostat which say my house is around 70c but I felt the sides of my fermentor am its a little cool to the touch do you thinks its ok? O yes I forgot I'm just brewing coopers lager extract with a ale yeast.

70º c....wow, that's like 158º Farenheit. :D

It will probably turn out OK, but would be better down around 62-65 degrees. Especially if it's within the first 3-4 days of fermentation. I always try to keep my ales around 63-65 during the first few days considering the vigorous fermentation ramps up the temp a few degrees. After about a week, I'll pull my fermenter from my CoolFerment bag and leave it at ambient (right around 70 degrees) for another couple weeks before bottling.

I recommend you get a thermometer. Preferably a nice one, like a Thermapen if you have the funds

A stick-on thermometer is cheap, and they can show you at a glance what the temperature of the beer is. Generally, a room temperature of 70 degrees means the beer will be 75--80 degrees while it's fermenting- too hot in most cases.

If you can't find a stick-on thermometer in a brew store or online, places like Wal-Mart have them for aquariums. You want one that shows a temperature range of 59-75 or so.

You definitely need some type of thermometer. The floating ones are good if you do have it in cool water while fermenting. The adhesive ones are also really helpful since they attach to the fermenter and are pretty accurate. You can also just use a regular brewing thermometer and fix it close to the carboy/bucket. Do keep in mind though as stated before, the first few days of fermentation will generally be slightly warmer by a few degrees.

-Jeff

I had been monitoring my water temp figuring the beer couldn't get too far off. When I bought fermometers and put them on I found out that it was 5* warmer than the water.

I've heard of others having less of a temperature difference though.

Thanks guys i just opened my batch to quickly take a hydro reading and it taste a bit like beer and wine lol is that normal?

Latest posts

Back