Primary Co2 gauge expansion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vovo

Reaction score
Girlfriend bought me kegerator over the weekend, came with a primary regulator, 1 guage to read how much co2 is left and one for how much psi is in the keg. I would like to convert to dual faucet not issues with that (Thanks to the board) but I understand that if I would like run more than 1 pressure I need additional guages. For example if I plan on carbing and dispensing at the same time. I either need to get a manifold or another guage

The QUESTION is...

Can I add another guage to this existing guage to expand this to dual guage regulator or tertiarry regulator in the future via a nipple.

Is expansion based on the type of regulator I have?

the gauge isn't the issue...you need another regulator AFTER the primary to dial down the pressure.

so primary reg is set to carbing psi (I'll assume 30psi), and the secondary reg dials down to 12psi for serving. teh secondary reg could have a manifold on it so it could run gas to numerous kegs. Ditto on teh primary reg..it'll have at least two outputs...one to the secondary reg and one to the keg or a manifold and then to kegs that need carbing.

or, just force carb at serving psi. rapidly force carbing at a high psi doesn't remove the need to age beer to its peak flavor.

perhaps I'm misunderstanding your wording, but if you have two regulators hooked together they may technically be called a primary and a secondary, but in reality they are two of the same, getting the same pressure from the tank, and individually are able to dial in their own pressure.

618BL.jpg

Found here.

The high gauge (what's left in your tank) will need to be removed, pipe installed going to another regulator (or tank mount removed and vice versa) and you have a dual
642-Battery.jpg

Minus the extra tank mount in that picture; not sure why micromatic did that (you can score cheaper regs, but quick reference for you). Hope this helps!

It's a lot more convienient having two regulators; glad I invested in mine
4884.jpg

Got it, going to go with the y splitter off of the primary for now and upgrade in the future. For the time being just going to run 1 cornelius and 1 commercial. I'll wait and see what santa brings.

Thanks

Making a list, but checking it twice.

I use the pipe nipple to connect the two regulators got that. The one regulator I currently have has left hand threads not positive on brands I assume it is micromatic by the guages. If I purchase another regulator and it happens to be not exactly the same one, would there be any issues with using it?

Thanks

Making a list, but checking it twice.

I use the pipe nipple to connect the two regulators got that. The one regulator I currently have has left hand threads not positive on brands I assume it is micromatic by the guages. If I purchase another regulator and it happens to be not exactly the same one, would there be any issues with using it?

Thanks

No. As long as you can connect them well, it will work fine. Various companies make regulators of various quality. Just remember to wrap a few turns of the white pipe seal around the fittings first. Also, once you have it all setup, do a bubble test on it all to make sure there are no leaks. This can be done with soapy water but, I prefer to use StarSan.

Here is a little blurb from kegkits.com you may find useful:

2 pressure regulators are really just 2 primary regulators connected together. The regulators are 100% independent of each other and each can be set to its own unique pressure. More than 2 regulators can be connected together but 3 or more becomes unstable and could tip over your CO2 bottle. With a 2 pressure regulator, you can run one draft keg and one homebrew keg or you can run one pressure for serving and another higher pressure just for fast carbonating your next homebrew keg of beer.

Just remember to wrap a few turns of the white pipe seal around the fittings first. Also, once you have it all setup, do a bubble test on it all to make sure there are no leaks. This can be done with soapy water but, I prefer to use StarSan.

Teflon tape is a must; Just ensure you put it on in the right direction (reverse thread made me think when I did some work on mine). When you test, don't submerge- as noremorse1 stated, just spray connections with soapy water (or starsan). I saw online someone who literally submerged their tank- I don't think those gauges will ever be the same.

The difference between a PRIMARY and SECONDARY regulator is:

PRIMARY needs a minimum of 500psi to work.

SECONDARY can only handle a MAXimum of 200psi.

You can hook multiple Primary's in a row, I have 3.

A secondary will need to be fed from a primary, meaning, One Primary will use one secondary = only one regulator.

Back