Priceless BiabCalc

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do I calculate fermentation losses.Never mind I see it all done at the end at packaging.

Have another question about grain potential what does it mean and how do you know what number to put in there.

Grain Potential is the a measurement of how much sugar 1 lb of that grain contains when mashed. Typical average value for a recipe is 1.036-1.037.

You can get that number from reading the malster specs from each individual grain and computing the weighted average.

Average Potential = Grain Weight 1 * Grain Potential 1 + Grain Weight 2 * Grain Potential 2 + Grain Weight 3 * Grain Potential 3 + Grain Weight N * Grain Potential N / (Sum Of All Grain Weights)

Or by inputing the recipe into your brew software of choice that supports recipe formulation, setting the brewhouse efficiency to 100. Then the recipe OG times the batch size divided by the sum of all weights will also give you the average grain potential.

AvgGrainPotential = Batch size * OG / TotalGrainWeight

for example, 12 lbs, 5.5 gallons and 1.057 would give
AvgGrainPotential = 5.5 gallons * 57 / 12 = 26.125 PPG (Points per pound per gallon)

Been awhile, here's a short walkthrough on how to use the "autoscale" function

Outline on how to use my advanced calculator to match your process and equipment.

Example: 5.5 gallon batch size, 0.125 gal/lb absorption rate, no losses at kettle or mashtun. Batch sparge with a mash thickness of 1.75 qt/lb. Typical brewhouse efficiency = 75% for a 1.060 recipe.

Enter equipment information as above, enter 1.060 as target OG, hit the green "AUTOSCALE RECIPE" button.

With the current variables, it predicts a grain bill of 11.06 lbs is needed, and will get a brewhouse efficiency of ~80%.

Ideally you will have some recordings of your first runnings / mash gravity, and can use that to determine your typical CONVERSION efficiency. Lets say it is usually 90% (my default is 95%, typical values are 85-95%). Set it to 90%.

Brewhouse is now 76.5%. To get it to 75%, now change the sparge coefficient to 90%, and hit the autoscale recipe function again. You should be near 1.060 and 75% brewhouse with 12 lbs of grain.

Now your efficiency models are set up properly. Double check that mash thickness is still set to 1.75, then just hit the autoscale recipe button again, and double check mash thickness one last time.

You're now set up correctly in my software.

Lets say you want to change to a 1.090 recipe now.

• Set target OG to 1.090, hit autoscale. Done. Expected brewhouse is 63%, mash thickness is set to 1.21, grain bill is 21.38 lbs. You can manipulate mash thickness and grain bill and re-run the AUTOSCALE function as desired to set your preferred process.
If you switch to the "efficiency evaluation tool* in Other calculators, you will also see a graph near the bottom that shows your efficiency curves for lauter, mash, and brewhouse, as well as how it would look if you decided to switch to no-sparge brewing. X axis is grain bill weight, Y axis is percentage. Mouseover tooltips are used to show values.

Going to take some pics of the process and upload to my blog later, but thought you might want to see this in case

Just wanted to reply to say how awesome this tool seems and to stay informed of any new versions. Technically, I haven't brewed a recipe using it yet but I'm working on coming up with one now!

Thanks pmd7500!

Let me know if you have any questions, feature requests, or issues.

For those that aren't active on the Brewersfriend forums, I've recently been hired by BF as quality assurance!

I've had a large re-work of my calculator going in my little spare time, with a rather unique approach to having a smart mash volume calculator. But I'm not sure when it'll be done, or if instead I'll be able to convince brewersfriend of the need.

Thanks pmd7500!

Let me know if you have any questions, feature requests, or issues.

For those that aren't active on the Brewersfriend forums, I've recently been hired by BF as quality assurance!

I've had a large re-work of my calculator going in my little spare time, with a rather unique approach to having a smart mash volume calculator. But I'm not sure when it'll be done, or if instead I'll be able to convince brewersfriend of the need.
Congrats. Maybe you can get them to clean up their conversion efficiency algorithms (if they haven't already.)

Brew on :mug:

Congrats. Maybe you can get them to clean up their conversion efficiency algorithms (if they haven't already.)

Brew on :mug:
Haha thanks Doug. The one in the brew sessions is actually good and is using braukaisers formula, but the standalone efficiency calculator isn't using the same function. Hopefully we can get it fixed soon!

Back