Preventing this batch from getting bottle bombs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mantooth

Reaction score
I recently made an all grain 5 gal batch of Ed Wort's Bee Cave Oktoberfest ale and followed it to the letter except I used a packet of US-04 instead of a Kolsch yeast. The original recipe called for a lot of grain (about 14 lbs). The only other differnce was my local home brew store subbed another grain for Vienna, but I can't remember what it was. Everything went well, I hit my mash temp or maybe a degree lower, and it fermented in a chamber set at 60 degree ambient for 3.5 weeks. Unfortunately, I didn't take a OG but I think I have pretty good efficiency.

I bottled this past Sunday September 4 and after I added the priming sugar and started to bottle, I tasted a sample and noticed it was really sweet. I decided since I already transferred to the bottling bucket and added the priming sugar it was too late to do anything and I bottled. So afterward I took a measurement and it was at 1.028! I realize the priming sugar added a little bit, but I doubt much.

So the beer has been bottled for almost a week now. I was thinking I could uncap all of them and then recap to release some pressure to prevent bombs. This has never happened to me before and I'm not sure what will happen. Is it possible I have a lot of unfermentables and the beer is done? I know I screwed up and for now on will take gravity readings. I just want to see if anyone has done this and will it work. Thanks

You were probably just tasting priming sugar. As for your gravity reading, when did you take it in the bottling process? How well was the priming sugar mixed in? Without knowing where your beer finished up, it's impossible to tell.

If you're really worried, throw a bottle in the fridge, and taste it tomorrow. How's the carbonation? See how it's carbing up before you freak out and open them all.

You were probably just tasting priming sugar. As for your gravity reading, when did you take it in the bottling process? How well was the priming sugar mixed in? Without knowing where your beer finished up, it's impossible to tell.

If you're really worried, throw a bottle in the fridge, and taste it tomorrow. How's the carbonation? See how it's carbing up before you freak out and open them all.

After I filled all the bottles, I used the little bit of beer left in the bottling bucket to fill up the tube for the hydrometer. So I'm thinking the priming sugar would have been mixed up fairly well with the beer. I will give that a shot. I'll chill one and try it.
Thanks.

What temp was your mash? If you mashed high you could have a bunch of unfementables that lead to your high FG. If so, you may be okay as far as bottle bombs go.

What temp was your mash? If you mashed high you could have a bunch of unfementables that lead to your high FG. If so, you may be okay as far as bottle bombs go.

The recipe called for 154 for 90 minutes, I think I hit 152 or so. I was wondering if the half pound of Caramunich and a half pound of Caravienne combined with really good efficiency could have extracted a lot more unfermentables than it should.

The recipe called for 154 for 90 minutes, I think I hit 152 or so. I was wondering if the half pound of Caramunich and a half pound of Caravienne combined with really good efficiency could have extracted a lot more unfermentables than it should.

I doubt the cara-stuff is enough to be a problem regardless of your effeciency. Have you checked your hydrometer?

After I filled all the bottles, I used the little bit of beer left in the bottling bucket to fill up the tube for the hydrometer. So I'm thinking the priming sugar would have been mixed up fairly well with the beer. I will give that a shot. I'll chill one and try it.
Thanks.
Yeah, I've had samples from that part of the bottling bucket, I don't recall one that wasn't sweet as all hell. I wouldn't worry about it.

After I filled all the bottles, I used the little bit of beer left in the bottling bucket to fill up the tube for the hydrometer.
Thanks.

You test the gravity after you racked it? IMO, I like to know the beer is done before I move it.

I doubt the cara-stuff is enough to be a problem regardless of your effeciency. Have you checked your hydrometer?

I just tested it and it was off by a point in tap water. It read 1.002. So that would bring the beer down to 1.026. Still really high. Well, I tried a beer tonight after chilling it for a few hours. It wasn't that bad, definitely young tasting but what do you expect for being bottled less than a week. Also, I was expecting possibly a gusher, but to my supprise it had moderate carbonation, not too much not to little. So, maybe the beer just finished a little on the high side. It definitely was malty, but didn't seem as sweet as before. I think it may age well and be a nice Oktoberfest ale.

You test the gravity after you racked it? IMO, I like to know the beer is done before I move it.

Yes unfortunately I'm bad about taking gravity readings. I'm one of those who pitch and forget. I figure if you do things right a long primary takes care of the rest. I will definitely be more observant next time.

Back