Preventing lactobacilli and pediococcus

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loup

Reaction score
Do not actually do this, it could possibly kill you

I'll start out by saying that I don't actually suggest anyone try this for reasons I'll get to.

I was doing some research on preventing lactobacilli and pediococus from growing in beer. I found a paper detailing the use of Urea Hydrogen Peroxide in a concentration of 2mMol/liter to keep them from growing while fermenting ethanol (as a fuel additive.) According to the article, UHP, while killing lacto and pedio also benefits yeast because it breaks down into oxygen and nitrogen (as well as other stuff.)

After some calculations (that could be entirely wrong) I figured out that about 3.56g of UHP would be needed for a 5 gallon batch, it would need to be added after the wort had cooled, maybe right after being transfered to a carboy or fermentation bucket, otherwise it would break down too quickly to be of any use.

Hurrah, thought I. I could add this to my wort to prevent lacto and pedio, so off I went to figure out how one could purchase it. Found it, it's reasonably cheap, but what did I see... "Substance is listed in Toxic Substance Control Act inventory." Oops, forgot that it might be toxic.

So off I went to check the toxicity. Urea Hydrogen Peroxide is used in teeth whitening products, so how bad can it be, really? Well, there doesn't seem to be much study (that I could find) on humans, but there is on rats. 15mg/kg causes damage to the stomach of rats (no other damage was detected to other organs,) 5mg/kg doesn't do anything noticeable (but this was a single dose.)

UHP should completely break down before you would really have a chance to drink your beer, but what if I'm wrong on that, what is the risk.

After some more terribly horrible calculations I estimated that a 5 gallon batch made 50 servings of beer, this means you might end up consuming 71mg of UHP per serving. To be on the safe side, I'll assume the lightest person drinking the beer weighs 100 lbs. That gives us a dose of 1.57mg/kg. Lower than the 5mg/kg that had no detectable effect on rats.

So, as far as I can tell, in the small amount consumed, there should be no negative effect (there could be long term effects I am unaware of.) If you wanted to try it, I'm not sure how hard it would be to get. From what I can tell, it's not supposed to be sold to the public at large in the US.

If you did manage to get some, I would still not suggest using it, I'm just some jerk sitting at his computer looking at data that he doesn't fully understand.

Normal sanitization practices that the majority of us do everytime we brew seems to do a great job of it as well...Or our brews would be swimming in it....:D

****Important announcement*****

Any new brewers out there reading this...please take Loup's advice...

I'll start out by saying that I don't actually suggest anyone try this for reasons I'll get to.

I know you are all scared that by the mere looking at your beers you will infect them...but you won't, normal sanitization practices work fine, and it is really hard to ruin your beer. That is unless you try something like this.

His post is just conjecture on his part. To spark a discussion in the brewing community. It may be good or it may not, for all we know this may be dangerous to consume.

N00bs, don't try this out of fear of Lacto/pedo in your beers....

Sorry Loup for jumping in like this...but a lot of new brewers are frightened kitties and may decide to dump a bunch of Hydrogen Peroxide in their first batch of beer....

Don't believe? Search for the is my beer ruined thread, where someone reading the discussions on using olive oil in place of aeration did it on his very first beer, and of course ruined his beer....

Save trying this for brewers with some experience.

*****Back to our regularly scheduled discussion****

:mug:

Use in teeth whitening does not imply you will be ingesting it.

I have a much easier method for preventing lactobacilli and pediococcus: Star San.
Not to be a jerk, I am just saying.

Sorry Loup for jumping in like this...but a lot of new brewers are frightened kitties and may decide to dump a bunch of Hydrogen Peroxide in their first batch of beer....Don't believe? Search for the is my beer ruined thread, where someone reading the discussions on using olive oil in place of aeration did it on his very first beer, and of course ruined his beer....

Not a problem, I tried to make sure that I said "don't do it" at least a couple of times hoping that most people would see at least one of them.

I'm one of those people who will research something much further than is healthy when I get even mildly curious about something. I was reading a different thread where someone's beer kept coming out sour and thought "hey, I wonder if there is a way to kill lacto and pedio but keep your yeast happy" and off I went.

Use in teeth whitening does not imply you will be ingesting it.

There is actually some controversy about using it in teeth whitening products because at the concentration needed to whiten teeth it is actually harmful to rats when adjusted for body mass. It appears that the damage is temporary, but that's with a single dose. Continued use could cause plenty of problems. Like I said, there really isn't a whole lot of research into the toxicity of UHP.

Not a problem, I tried to make sure that I said "don't do it" at least a couple of times hoping that most people would see at least one of them.

I'm one of those people who will research something much further than is healthy when I get even mildly curious about something. I was reading a different thread where someone's beer kept coming out sour and thought "hey, I wonder if there is a way to kill lacto and pedio but keep your yeast happy" and off I went.

Yeah but there were a lot of words on the page....and a lot of new brewers are impatient (hence the opening of their bottles after one week) and may not have read all the way through...I just wanted to make sure we clarified that this was conjecture that hadn't been experimented.

Back