Pressure Regulator Failed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlietzow

Reaction score
I'm new to kegging, using a combination of used equipment that I was able to get cheaply. Last night I had 2 batches of beer ready to keg so transferred them and cranked them up to 35 psi so that I could carbonate overnight.

I reattached my co2 line to my other keg (now nearly empty) and walked away feeling happy with my accomplishments. Later I came downstairs and heard a strange hissing sound. The pressure relief valve on the regulator was letting gas escape. The pressure on my keg was nearly 50 psi.

I disconnected the co2, turned down the regulator dial, shut off the tank, and purged the co2 from the line. After purging gas from my keg I reattached the gas and watched as the pressure on the dial climbed rapidly to 50 psi again (even though the dial was turned all of the way down).

I disconnected and purged again and then tested without attaching to my keg. The problem repeated. Now anytime I turn the gas valve on on the co2 tank the pressure will build - seemingly oblivious to the dial that should set the pressure.

Anything I can do to fix this, or should I start shopping for a new regulator?

You have a few options. You could rebuild the regulator. That is going to depend on the type/brand regulator. It may be more expensive to locate the parts to rebuild it than to replace it.

A new premium Micro Matic regulator is only $59.95: https://www.micromatic.com/great-products-15-off/double-gauge-co2-primary-premium-series-642

The budget one is on sale right now for $47: https://www.micromatic.com/economy/double-gauge-co2-primary-economy-series-842

You also have to take in to account that the regulator may have more than one issue. If you replace all of the seals/gaskets and then find out one of the gauges is broken you'll have spent as much if not more than it would have cost to purchase a new one.

I hope that helps.

P.S. I have a premium Micro Matic, it's worth the extra $20 just so I don't have to use a screw driver to adjust the pressure.

Back