Presesnt for myslef

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snisleziggy

Reaction score
So I'm going to be ordering some beers online for a Christmas present to myself. I live in an area with limited beer selections, but am a fan of great tasting brews. That's the reason I have to order online. I was just wondering if you guys could give some suggestions (sites or beers) on what I should get. I'm a HUGE fan of ales, IPAs being my favorite. So what are some "must try" ales that I can look into? Thanks in advance for the help guys.

****EDIT****

So I started a list:

Russsian River Brewing Co.:
Blind Pig IPA
Damnation Golden Ale

Stone Brewing Co.:
Vertical Epic
Double Bastard

Alesmith:
X Pale Ale

dogfish head's 120 ipa made me stop and say, "holy god damn... i'll love you forever. *cough* conservatively. *cough*" everyone's different, though.

dogfish head's 120 ipa made me stop and say, "holy god damn... i'll love you forever. *cough* conservatively. *cough*" everyone's different, though.

Dogfish is great! I haven't been able to find the 120 minute around here, just the 60. It's going on the list! haha

dfh is what got me into craft brews actually. if i can recall... it started with a friend sampling raison d'etre and then a SWMBO telling me to stop stealing that guy's beers.

i really hope sam cracks the keg on our world through the show.

just thought about brooklyn breweries black chocolate stout around this time of year... really the only thing that blew me away last winter.

Well I am a huge fan of Stone, I can see you got some on your list already... I love the Stone Levitation, its only 4.6 percent or so, but huge taste.

i bought a sixer of that on thanksgiving. it was pretty flavorful for what it was. 4.4 if i remember right.

Anything from Jolly Pumpkin out of Michigan. Everything I have had of theirs is awesome. I would especially recommend the BamBiere - It's great

I almost spit that beer out, and I love Dogfish IPAs.

Anything from Jolly Pumpkin out of Michigan. Everything I have had of theirs is awesome. I would especially recommend the BamBiere - It's great

I second this, I looooooove jolly pumpkin.

dfh is what got me into craft brews actually. if i can recall... it started with a friend sampling raison d'etre and then a SWMBO telling me to stop stealing that guy's beers.

i really hope sam cracks the keg on our world through the show.

Yep, DFH is what got me into craft beers too (and going to college in Fort Collins where New Belgium and Odells flow like water). I read an article in the New Yorker about the raison d'etre about 2 years ago and bought a 6-pack that night. within 2 weeks I had tried every DFH sold in Madison.

OP- Anything from Victory and Allagash make it on my list of must haves. Give those a shot too.

I'm surprised nobody's suggested Pliny yet. A lot of dudes on this site seem to get a semi just by reading about it.

So I'm going to be ordering some beers online for a Christmas present to myself. I live in an area with limited beer selections, but am a fan of great tasting brews. That's the reason I have to order online. I was just wondering if you guys could give some suggestions (sites or beers) on what I should get. I'm a HUGE fan of ales, IPAs being my favorite. So what are some "must try" ales that I can look into? Thanks in advance for the help guys.

****EDIT****

So I started a list:

Russsian River Brewing Co.:
Blind Pig IPA
Damnation Golden Ale

Stone Brewing Co.:
Vertical Epic
Double Bastard

Alesmith:
X Pale Ale

they have the stone stuff at total wine here in raleigh,nc

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Does anyone know where to get Pliny the Elder? I saw it on a site I was looking at but it was only shipped to CA.

Maybe you should become a member of a "beer of the month" club or something like that. Here's one: http://www.beermonthclub.com/ . Naturally, the problem is that you can get some real duds and they may not focus you on one particular genre (like IPA's). But, I would highly recommend that for someone with not a lot of craft beer around.

Or, hell, treat yourself to a trip to a place with craft breweries and make yourself a case!

If you can't get the beer in NC already, you probably won't be able to buy it online. You need to find somebody who will ship beer to you through the mail. Dogfish 120 is too high alcohol to be sold in NC, and you will never get Russian River to ship you beer. There's a reason the Pliny bottle says "DO NOT AGE, DRINK IMMEDIATELY!!"

If you can't get the beer in NC already, you probably won't be able to buy it online. You need to find somebody who will ship beer to you through the mail. Dogfish 120 is too high alcohol to be sold in NC, and you will never get Russian River to ship you beer. There's a reason the Pliny bottle says "DO NOT AGE, DRINK IMMEDIATELY!!"

You can get South Bay Drugs and other stores to ship you Pliny the Elder, problem is it is distributed once a month and will typically sell out from the places that ship in a day or two. Not that hard to get, but you need to plan and be on the ball.

Since the OP is all East Coast, I'll assume he has an interest in West Coast beers. South Bay Drugs is my preferred CA mail order beer retailer and they ship to NC. Based on their list of beers now I would recommend:

Alesmith Speedway Stout
Alpine Nelson
Ballast Point Sculpin
Green Flash Hop Head Red
Green Flash West Coast IPA
Alaskan Smoked Porter
The Bruery Saison Rue
Firestone Walker Union Jack
Firestone Walker Velvet Merlin
Hair of the Dog (All of them)
Maui Coconut Porter
Oscar Blues Ten Fidy
Russian River (all of them)

I've skipped some stuff I think can probably be had in NC.

Back