Preservatives in Concentrate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schmitz

Reaction score
Hi,

I have 3 carboys ready to be racked after 2 months.

At this point I'm going to use 2 frozen concentrate cans per 5 gallons in the secondary to sweetened it up.

That's dandy and all but the concentrate cans of course need to have preservatives to keep from the yeast from muching all the fruity goodness..er sugar.

My first question is (I will be bottling 4 or so months down the road) is 2 cans of concentrate about the norm? anyone add 3? etc

My real question is HOW do I know if frozen concentrate has preservatives in it? It doesnt say on the MEIJER brand I purchased. While I just assumed any applejuice sold through a major chain would be preserved I dont want to be surprised down the road. Any thoughts ?

Thanks guys

You'll see it listed in the ingredients if it's preserved (required by law). If you're not sure if an ingredient listed is a preservative, write it down and look it up at home.

If you use camden tabs before you add the concentrate, then you can use whatever type of concentrate you want (preserves or no).

if you don't use campden/sorbate before adding the concentrate, you won't sweeten your batch you will just restart fermentation

At least in California and Oregon, most apple juice and concentrates don't have preservatives. If they don't list any, they probably don't have any. Even if they did, I don't think the concentration would be high enough to stop the ferment at this point.

Thanks guys.

Since I'm bottling later on, Ill just have to go with a still cider if I want to sweetened it w/ concentrate.

Back