Preparing for Winter...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atlmustang

Reaction score
So my hop bines didn't yeild any cones this year. I had great growth on the bines. I built a 7 foot trellis and I planted the rhyzome in April. The had reached the top if the trellis by June. Very thick. My magnum appears to be the only one that made it. I think one cascade survived the GA heat. So 2 magnum bines and 1 cascade made it for those interested in what hops may survive the heat of the south. The fuggles didnt make it at all.

Anywho...its 45 degrees this morning. Dipping into the 30's tonight. Do I just let them be until next year in their pots? Or do I but the bines and put the pot with the with roots in my garage for the winter to keep it out if the elements?

The bines that remained are super healthy still. Nice thick bines at the base.

Hope to perserve them this winter so I can hopefully get done yield next year.

Also, why didnt I get any yeild? The bines grew so fast than vibrantly. The were in full sun for 5 hours a day. Partial for another 2.

Edit: I should have used the search function :).

I will wait until first real frost so that the roots can still gather as much sun as possible to store up for winter. Ill then cut the bines to the soil and throw some mulch on top for extra protection.

Hopefully, I get some yield next year!

Getting a yield with rhizomes in the first year is hit or miss. Some growers have and can do it, others end up waiting until year 2. If you have good soil, water, sun, and weather, you can usually get a small yield out of the plants. My year 1 rhizomes gave me no hops, but came fom plants that gave me 6 to 8 wet lbs of hops this year.

Rhizomes have to develop a root system. Once they do, the focus on growth. I'm willing to bet your 7 foot trellis will look like a 7 foot tall bush full of hops by August of next year.

Latest posts

Back