Prebuilt electric control panels under $500

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badmajon

Reaction score
Hello, I cannot decide whether I want to buy a control panel or go through the hassle of building one myself and save a ton of money.

I have come across the High Gravity EBC-SV, ~$500. Looks well made, but kind of expensive for what it is. Looks like I'm paying $200 for parts and $300 for labor.

I would be more comfortable with something in the low $300s... b/c I still need to buy other parts and I'm trying to convert my keggle for around $500 (plus I need to pay to get 240v installed in my garage so it's going to cost more!).

Does anyone else have any ideas?

Like any business, they are in it to make money. I want an electric panel prebuilt also, but it's out of my budget and needs currently.

That only handles one vessel at a time

Building it yourself may or may not save money based on how much time you have to invest but you'll definitely learn something in the process. If you buy one from a shop and something goes wrong, now you're sending it back for repairs rather than troubleshooting and wrenching on something you now know pretty intimately.

I would vote for building one yourself...I recently finished my Kal clone panel and I saved a good deal of money doing it myself. I'll put it this way...I had to buy a few power tools and learn how to use them and I still came out way on top. And I learned how to wire and learned a lot about electricity in general.

And like Bobby mentioned...if your panel has issues in the future (knock on wood that it won't), if you DIY you'll be informed and be able to DIY the repairs as well.

Annnnd...I wouldn't call it a hassle! I though the whole process was a lot of fun! Just really overwhelming at first.

Build it yourself! I finished mine a couple of months ago and had a blast putting it together. No doubt it's daunting at first, but after a bit of reading, tracking posts on this forum, asking questions, etc., you learn a lot and better appreciate your new brewery. Also, in the end, I saved quite a bit of money and have all the options I want for my brewery.

TC

I built mine a hybrid Kal clone and a few other builds I liked on this forum. I would recommend building it yourself, it is an educational experience which keeps your brain sharp! Plus you can tweak it to your needs and likes. It is a task and challenge, but so is brewing your own beer!

I'm right in the middle of building mine (30a 2x element) and like Bobby said its a great learning experience. I'm DIYing everything from keggles to the chiller, while its taking a long time I think its well worth it in the long run.
Besides I think DIY goes hand in hand with home brewing since you're brewing it your self

I'm right in the middle of building mine (30a 2x element) and like Bobby said its a great learning experience. I'm DIYing everything from keggles to the chiller, while its taking a long time I think its well worth it in the long run.
Besides I think DIY goes hand in hand with home brewing since you're brewing it your self
Realistically what is this panel costing you to build (not counting your time)? While I think Kal's setups are awesome, even in DIY trim it's a lotta $$. but it's one stop shopping. A completed ebrewsupply is on par with a DIY Kal system, maybe cheaper. I like both a lot, but it's out of my budget for quite some time

Hello, I cannot decide whether I want to buy a control panel or go through the hassle of building one myself and save a ton of money.

I have come across the High Gravity EBC-SV, ~$500. Looks well made, but kind of expensive for what it is. Looks like I'm paying $200 for parts and $300 for labor.

I would be more comfortable with something in the low $300s... b/c I still need to buy other parts and I'm trying to convert my keggle for around $500 (plus I need to pay to get 240v installed in my garage so it's going to cost more!).

Does anyone else have any ideas?

That is what you are paying for. $200 in parts and $300 for their expertise and time to build it, warrentee it and support it....most places have a shop rate of $60-100, doesnt take long to get to $300. plus they have to make a profit or go out of business.

I dont see getting something like that for $300, unless you build it yourself. I built mine myself, and just the parts was well over $300.

Just to throw another option in the ring. I know its slightly above your $500 budget but the Brew Boss controller is pretty sweet. If you already have an android tablet already, you can pick one up for $600 or $650 including a tablet. This allows me to basically monitor my brew session from anywhere in my house.

I also can't say enough good things about the support I have received from the creator of this product. You can literally ask this guy anything and he will respond quickly with a thoughtful and thorough reply. The support alone is worth the extra couple hundred in my book. I had his last controller as well and like this guy and his product so much upgraded to the Brew Boss as well.

I'm in this hobby not only for beer, but the diy aspect of it.

So currently I'm building my BCS 3 element 50a controller now. I'm doing as much diy as I can—this includes making my own temp sensors with rj45 connectors to also save $ by not buying m12 connectors.

Realistically what is this panel costing you to build (not counting your time)? While I think Kal's setups are awesome, even in DIY trim it's a lotta $$. but it's one stop shopping. A completed ebrewsupply is on par with a DIY Kal system, maybe cheaper. I like both a lot, but it's out of my budget for quite some time

Well most of the components I sourced from china so I have extras of most of the switches and lights. But just going quick off of invoices the panel is about 290$ in components and 50$ in tools which included a few bits, a ratcheting crimper and a tap set. Something not included in there is a 40' feed cable which was gifted to me(~80$).
I did add some extras to what i really needed that brought the cost up a bit. I have two PIDs one for mash one for boil and therefore also have the connecting hardware for 2 elements. I have a volt/amp meter. I have a key switch on/off and an e-stop. I also put in controls for two pumps even though I only plan to use one for now.
so my panel is at about 420$ with a few tools and a long feed cord. lets just say the equivalent high gravity box is substantially more.

Things that have really kept the cost down for me is first having most of the tools I needed. From a drill press to a rotary tool, down to metal files and clamps these things all add up very quickly.
I had most of the wire already.
I had really beefy, perfectly sized heatsinks for my SSRs that I had salvaged for free a long time ago.
I also had most of the mounting hardware on hand, leftovers from other projects.
I used a toolbox instead of a NEMA enclosure.

Remember you really have to think about your brewing process (or the brewing process you want to use). I am moving up from stove-top 5gal BIAB to cold (~120) fly sparge or batch sparge brutus 20. I've chosen this system since I have direct access to a hot water line and I dont have very much room for my brewing space. This setup will give me actual control over my mashing process and a lot of flexibility in what I can brew (larger batches 5-12gal and very high gravity).
I also have a clear upgrade path for more sparge control, back-to-back batches and larger batches which all can be added with very little or no modification to what I am assembling now.

I know I haven't taken everything into account but thanks to the plethora information found on here I feel I've been able to make some very choice decisions throughout the planing stage of my build. So I guess I need to go start a build thread now....

I built my panel including the elements and wiring to the pots for under $300... three mypin pids with alarm functions as well as a dual timer with alarm functions as well... this controls two 4500w elements and my mashtun temps as well as two variable speed controllers and power supply for my 12v wort pumps... there are pics of it floating around here. Its not pretty but it gets the job done reliably with 25A relays tied to one three position switch so can only power one element off of my 30a 220v line at a time.
everthing is avaliable from ebay and amazon... I used a $30 plastic electrical box from the home depot for the enclosure.
I feel that if someone makes these in bulk they can each be made in a couple hrs a piece.... I'm not paying someone $150 an hour to build one for me but to each his own. (most of the panels with the functionality of mine are selling for at least $600 to up well over $1,500)

I will be building a more aesthetically pleasing streamlined system thats easier to clean when I move next year once I have a more dedicated brew room)

Thanks for the post cank,
I too agree that if you have the time and skills to build your own controller, do it. It's a great learning experience. Hosehead was created to be a turn key solution to make it easy for those that want to skip the learning curve and get to brewing in as little time a possible at an affordable price. You can learn more about it at www.brewtronix.com

-Corey

Just to put it into perspective how much more you get, or save, doing the leg work.

I just got done buying all the parts to assemble a "~ $2800" bcs 462 panel.

It's 50a 4 elements with two temperature reading sensors and two fermentation controls one for my lager chamber and one for my temp controlled room. It'll control 2 pumps and electric ball valves. I added 3 SS float switches to keep the elements safe, allow for me to fly sparge and to keep the water from over filling in my HLT (the water will be controlled via an evalve, so I can fill it using my ipad and internet and get the water to temp before I get out of bed or when I'm on my way home from work)

It took me a good part of a days but I sourced all the components individually. I didn't buy cheap stuff either like my SSRs are Crydom... I'll be building my own temp sensors too to keep costs down.

But anyway, The parts for the panel was about $600 (and time to build). So for all that compared to what you get pre built, I'd say it's a no brainer.

But my panel is way crazy, so for $500, you could still build a really amazing panel.

I just love heavy duty stuff, pay a little more for a panel you can grow into. Start with one pid, then later you can add more. I didn't think the cords and plugs were going to cost as much as they did ($200-300). IMHO, I'd try to build it, have a trained (someone) look over what you did and give their blessing

Just to put it into perspective how much more you get, or save, doing the leg work.

I just got done buying all the parts to assemble a "~ $2800" bcs 462 panel.

It's 50a 4 elements with two temperature reading sensors and two fermentation controls one for my lager chamber and one for my temp controlled room. It'll control 2 pumps and electric ball valves. I added 3 SS float switches to keep the elements safe, allow for me to fly sparge and to keep the water from over filling in my HLT (the water will be controlled via an evalve, so I can fill it using my ipad and internet and get the water to temp before I get out of bed or when I'm on my way home from work)

It took me a good part of a days but I sourced all the components individually. I didn't buy cheap stuff either like my SSRs are Crydom... I'll be building my own temp sensors too to keep costs down.

But anyway, The parts for the panel was about $600 (and time to build). So for all that compared to what you get pre built, I'd say it's a no brainer.

But my panel is way crazy, so for $500, you could still build a really amazing panel.

Swiller, do you have a parts list or plans/schematic you could share? I have tried to piece together the information on building a BCS panel from several different sources and haven't had a ton of luck! Thanks.

Building will probably take MANY times more labor than you expect, but is the way to go if you're looking to get down to the $300 range.

Plastic NEMA boxes are easy to work with and themselves water proof (up until you cut holes in them).
Go with a known good design such as one of the many JP designs here and keep it simple but safe. GFCI is an absolute must somewhere and unless you can find a cheap GFCI breaker for your electric box the Home Depot Spa Panel breaker boxes are possibly the cheapest way to go.

The NEMA electric plugs aren't cheap either so consider permanently hard wiring or alternative and safe options there to safe some money; see the Neutrik Powercon Connectors that the Brewtronic system uses. http://brewtronix.com/

Still Dragon has what is BY FAR the most simple and cheap boil controller you can get although they appear to have gone up a tiny bit recently: http://stilldragon.com/index.php/accessories/diy-controller-kit.html

Adam

some cheaper alternatives I have purchased to use on my next panel I'm building for a friend...there are multiple 23-30A connectors availiable for under $15 like the $7 military connectors below...(I used speakon connector myself but would have rather used the ones below and they secure better with a screw ring just like an XLR connector)...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321514587280?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140553987088?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251281000159?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400676304831?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/11139922449...49&var=410381383908&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121285591080?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200800824597?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321595660389?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I could go on all day but bottom line is you can save 200-500% over what some are charging and it really is fun building your own (for many anyway)

I built mine for under $300.

IMG_20141026_132451_903.jpg

IMG_20141029_194828_626.jpg

If you are looking for not very expencive entry level controller I can suggest mine - http://www.ebay.ca/itm/221402670805

Brumateur, do you make a controller with one pid with manual mode, one 240v, 30a outlet for the element, a 120v switched pump outlet, a main switch to turn off the entire panel, a switch to turn off both hot legs to the element, and an alarm light/buzzer? Thanks.

If you are looking for not very expencive entry level controller I can suggest mine - http://www.ebay.ca/itm/221402670805

Brumateur, do you make a controller with one pid with manual mode, one 240v, 30a outlet for the element, a 120v switched pump outlet, a main switch to turn off the entire panel, a switch to turn off both hot legs to the element, and an alarm light/buzzer? Thanks.

Back