PreBoil Hop Additions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreakinA

Reaction score
My stove takes a while to heat up to a boil , and I was just wondering in the meantime if adding the hops before the boil so they get taken up to temperature would yield any additional bitterness or have any bad effects. I realize prime AAU extraction wouldnt be till 212ish degrees, but would there be any benefits in the 180-210 degree range?

Actually, you do start isomerizing alpha acids below 212 (extracting biterness), but you won't gain very much extra bitterness. It sure won't hurt your hops though.

It may give a similar affect to First Wort Hopping in all grain brewing, some say giving a somewhat smoother bitterness than a traditional first addition. It probably won't add much if any bitterness though, and may make you hot break bigger and harder to contain.

Here's a good writeup on First Wort Hopping and it will help clear up some misconceptions as well. It is the definitive summary on First Wort Hopping by Dr. George Fix, the man who basically re-discovered the process while going over old brewing literature.

First Wort Hopping Summary

Latest posts

Back