Pre/Post Brita Filter Numbers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thegerm

Reaction score
We buy brita filters in bulk from costco, but for water treatment I've just been using campden tablets and sometimes also diluting with walmart distilled water.

I'd like to know if anybody has had side by side ward labs (or similar) tests done on their tap water before and after being filtered by the standard brita pitcher filters.

naturally I am looking for an idea of percentage and/or absolute removal of relevant ions: calcium, magnesium, sodium, chloride and sulfate. Is sodium even removed at all? or is this added to the water by the ion exchange resin?

I've read here that one should treat brita filtered water as practically equivalent to RO, but I am curious if anyone's got data to demonstrate just how practical the similarity really is.

thanks for your time.

I ran some comparisons years ago and found that the Britas essentially removed everything (everything I could test for anyway) including chloramine but that it took a couple of passes to get the chloramine way down. I doubt I could find the data and even if I did I wonder if it would still be relevant. Brita pitchers contain ion exchange resins so that the removal is pretty complete

Back