Power loss due to massive storms = high temp fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pannell77

Reaction score
So most of central ohio lost power this weekend due to a crazy storm friday night which resulted in my house being around 85-88 degrees from Friday-Sunday night. I have 2 beers that have been fermenting for about a week that I am hoping are salvageable. There was no ice within 20 miles so there was no chance of cooling them down really.

Power is back on as of 4am today and the A/C is cranking away now.

The beers are a Christmas Ale and an IPA...thoughts on if they will be turn out ok or have some crazy off-flavorings from the heat?

Forgot to mention that the xmas ale had very little airlock activity going on all week, the IPA was chugging along pretty good. I had them both in a bathtub filled with water and was adding ice packs to it to keep the temps right around 68-70. I havent taken a gravity reading yet, i thought they may need more than a week to finish.

I had just pitched yeast at 8 PM Fri night and my lights and AC went out at 10:30. I had one batch in primary for about a week - that one I left in the coldest corner of my basement - the one with newly pitched yeast went into my utility sink half filled with cold water and whatever ice I had. I was able to keep it at about 70F until the power came back on yesterday. Anyway the active fermentation, first 3-4 days, is what I get concerned with. Longwinded to say, I think you'll be OK.

Cheers!

Man, I think it'll be a week before I get power back in the Chicago burbs. Nothing like cold conditioning at 90°F

thanks for the encouraging thoughts.

AEP told me that i wouldnt get power back until July 8 and then boom, 4am everything kicked on and scared the piss out of me and my dogs.

took a gravity reading and they are both within .002 of expected and taste pretty good. Now on to dry hopping and addition of cinnamon sticks for a few days.

Back