Power Consumption Issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ktichenor

Reaction score
This has probably been addressed before, but I couldn't find a thread addressing this.

So I have a small chest freezer with a Johnson temp controller.

I lived in an apartment for quite a while and never really had any issues with the power draw from the spike when the unit kicks on.
I could hear it kick on, but nothing really beyond that.

Well I've just recently moved into a bigger apartment, and am now noticing that every time the freezer kicks on, the lights dim/flicker.
I assume the freezer and lights are on the same breaker.

I understand the basics of whats happening here, with my older freezer pulling a high amperage, etc. but I'm wondering if theres anything I can do to counteract this.

My options are limited due to being in an apartment, but I have no problem replacing the outlet, if theres something that could balance out the spike.

There's surge protectors and GFCI outlets that prevent shock to the device/appliance, but is there something similar to prevent excessive power draw spikes from the device itself?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ask landlord to address the issue by having an electrician look at the circuits. If it is an overloaded dangerous circuit it should be taken care of.

Back