Poured all of the hops (trug) into the fementor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I thought it would add to the flavor of the IPA I'm making. However after reading in Palmer's book that only a little residue should make it into the fermentor I am getting worried. Should I skip the dry hop addition in 7 days from now? Since there is so much hop residue already in my fermentor?

BrooklynBrewerMHC said:
I thought it would add to the flavor of the IPA I'm making. However after reading in Palmer's book that only a little residue should make it into the fermentor I am getting worried. Should I skip the dry hop addition in 7 days from now? Since there is so much hop residue already in my fermentor?

No need to worry, it will all settle out as the beer ferments and clears.

How long has the beer been fermenting that you want to dry hop in seven days? Ideally you should give the beer 14-21 days to fully ferment and clear, then dry hop for 7 days, then package

You're fine. As stated, the hop debris will become part of your trub. When you rack to secondary or bottling bucket, just siphon carefully and leave the trub behind. Definitely still drop hop. The hop sludge doesn't have the same effect as dry hopping. Dry hopping will add aroma to the beer, whereas the sludge transferred over from your boil has been isomerized and contributed to the beer's bitterness and flavor (this is not completely true, but this is the simplest way to explain the difference without getting too detailed).

As duboman said, let it ferment out (whether thats 7 days or 21 days), then dry hop the heck out of it!

I agree, no big deal at all. You can dry hop in your primary or secondary. I do both although I use carboys. There does seem to be suttle differences but I can't say which way is better. Live and learn.

It it was me, I would put a piece of 2x4 or something similar under one side of the bucket so that it is on a bit of an angle. This will help the trub/hop gunk shift to one side. When you dryhop, it will also be biased to the lower side. This will give you a "deep end" and a "shallow end" to your trub. You will be able to rack to your bottling bucket easier and with less trub making it over.

This assumes you are not going to secondary. If you are goingt to secondary, it will help a little, but not as much. Also, if you are going to secondary, I would recommend the same practice as the hops you add will be pretty fluffy (assuming pellets, whole leaf hops are a little better).

Good luck (and as others have said, you are totally fine).

This is what I came home to...is it salvageable?

image-2682129995.jpg

Clean it up and business as usual. Maybe leave the bananas out though.

krackin said:
Clean it up and business as usual. Maybe leave the bananas out though.

Ha! Yeah just happened to go shopping before coming home to the bomb scene!

Pouring the trub in has been fine for me over the years, I've only recently switched to a different method, but for different reasons. I used a phone book to tilt my carboy over to get the trub to settle away from the siphon.

Carb bomb looks awesome! Get any on the ceiling? That's the true mark of success.

Jon73 said:
Pouring the trub in has been fine for me over the years, I've only recently switched to a different method, but for different reasons. I used a phone book to tilt my carboy over to get the trub to settle away from the siphon.

Carb bomb looks awesome! Get any on the ceiling? That's the true mark of success.

Just a little bit on the walls!

Hey all thanks for the reassurance! I will heed the tips on angling my fermentor. As for the dry hops my recipe said to dry hop between 5-10 days after it's been in the fermentor...and leave it for another 5-10 days before bottling...then 2 weeks in the bottles. It's a similar IPA to Brooklyn Brewery's IPA I believe, got the recipe from a 7 year veteran brewer at the supplies shop. During the brew I used 4 kinds of hops, Amarillo, Warrior, Columbus(Tomahawk) and Australian Galaxy.

On a side note, not seeing any action or much bubbling in my airlock on top of the fermentor...then again the beer was just brewed on Sunday.

Back