Pour bottles into keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ballsy

Reaction score
Hey all, making the jump to kegging and have everything ordered. 2 questions I have:
1. Can my oxyfree be used to clean the keg parts?
2. I have about 30 bottles of a 8 mth old RIS which were screwed up from overcarbing. Can I theoretically pour these out into the keg and proceed to carb to normal levels? Common sense tells me yes.

sent from Galaxy S4 after a few beers using homebrew talk app

Gas your keg with CO2 until it fills up, CO2 is heavier that air, then pour your bottles in on the side wall of the keg at an angle and fill it up. What do you have to lose? Once full, purge several times and set psi or force carb...

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Good call on the oxygenation, I should have thought of that...but if drank quickly (it's only about a case) I would think off flavors from oxygenating would not have time to soak in? I'm on verge of dumping the bottles anyways, worse case scenario is the beer turns out crappy and I dump it but at least gave one last shot?

As your filling up the keg the beer will push the CO2 blanket up protecting from O2... Just a thought...good luck

Yeah, I did consider the CO2 prior to filling (didn't plan on doing this when siphoning from ferment bucket on normal basis but this would have more of a reason for it). I'll let u all know how it turns out in couple weeks!

And that is something you always want to do when racking into the keg. Always blanket it with co2. You don't want that heavenly nectar to come into contact with oxygen from the time you put it into your primary until the time you are pouring it into a glass.

And that is something you always want to do when racking into the keg. Always blanket it with co2. You don't want that heavenly nectar to come into contact with oxygen from the time you put it into your primary until the time you are pouring it into a glass.

Idk...I have read a lot of posts re: the CO2 blanket "theory" on here and many say they have never done it and have never noticed any off tastes from oxygenation. Seems like an extra cautionary step that some do and some don't, esp if the keg is purged a couple times after it is filled?

Idk...I have read a lot of posts re: the CO2 blanket "theory" on here and many say they have never done it and have never noticed any off tastes from oxygenation. Seems like an extra cautionary step that some do and some don't, esp if the keg is purged a couple times after it is filled?

I do it because it can't hurt. I'm not fully convinced that it makes that much difference. Especially since the keg lid is usually off for 5 minutes or so while I fill it. I just hope it helps during the first few seconds until the tubing get under the level of the beer.

If you think about bottling, you do the same exact thing into bottling bucket as you do into keg and there's no CO2 in the bottling bucket. Then we go one step beyond and fill each bottle with the wand which is not necessarily turbulence free either, and most people have no issues with oxygenation....and yes, I am so friggin happy I will no longer be doing any of that!

Update, transferred from bottles to keg (in driveway, warm out luckily, lots of foam) getting cold first would have helped but oh well. 30 psi for 24hrs, then down to 6 and after 3 days it's pouring perfect and tastes just like it did in bottle. Adding a dash of bourbon to each glass makes it even better. Well see how long she lasts before O2 starts getting to it!

Oh yes....I'm not a fan of this particular one, one glass is fine but was only about a case left of bottles so if starts to go south will dump.unless I find a neighbor who is into it, they will get a few growlers if that's the case....

I was wondering something along the same lines. Some of my friends only want to drink bud light.If I picked up two cases of bud light and put them in my corny keg, would that be like having it on tap? Sorry if this is a noob question but I'm new to kegging.

If it was drank w/in a very short period of time. My issue was over carb'd beer in order to correct. Bud light would be correctly carb'd, some work for simply serving from tap as opposed to drinking from bottle but whatever floats ur boat!

If you think about bottling, you do the same exact thing into bottling bucket as you do into keg and there's no CO2 in the bottling bucket. Then we go one step beyond and fill each bottle with the wand which is not necessarily turbulence free either, and most people have no issues with oxygenation....and yes, I am so friggin happy I will no longer be doing any of that!

just a quick thought for the sake of information and process:

the primary reason to purge kegs of oxygen is because fermentation should be complete and the yeast should have attenuated the beer and will not cleanup any excess O2 introduced when racking.

one reason why this is less of an issue when bottling is because the yeast perform a mini-fermentation when priming sugar is added and they will consume a small amount of oxygen while carbonating the bottle.

this usually is not happening in the keg, unless priming in the keg, so if the beer is oxidized during transfer it will hasten the staling process.

i'm sure there are other reasons to purge kegs and probably other success stories of people making good beer and not purging. just throwing this out there. : )

glad you're enjoying kegging...it is pretty awesome.

Just to make sure no misconception. Laying a blanket of CO2 prior to filling keg is totally different from purging after filling, correct? The initial concern was whether the CO2 blanket does any good, but is this only if one chooses not to purge? Purging is removing O2 and leaving CO2 so isn't oxygenation not a factor at that point? I plan on purging O2 after filling every time so i guess the blanket of CO2 prior to filling is pointless?

I don't think it is pointless for the CO2 blanket. It is kinda being anal, but in theory you are reducing and eliminating the best you can, the contact of O2 to your beer. So the fill tube from your fermenter sits at the bottom of the keg under the CO2 blanket, as it moves upward with the filling beer, it continues to provide a barrier. Once you are full and the lid is on the keg, hook up the CO2 line to the input of keg and put 10 lbs on it and pull the bleeder valve on the lid several times. This is the purge process. This essentially removes the possibility of the presence of O2...
Kegging is awesome....

Just to make sure no misconception. Laying a blanket of CO2 prior to filling keg is totally different from purging after filling, correct? The initial concern was whether the CO2 blanket does any good, but is this only if one chooses not to purge? Purging is removing O2 and leaving CO2 so isn't oxygenation not a factor at that point? I plan on purging O2 after filling every time so i guess the blanket of CO2 prior to filling is pointless?

you could purge a keg with CO2 prior to filling or after. i think purging the headspace after filling is crucial. i have seen differing opinions on whether or not it is important to purge before filling, and i have heard the 'blanket of CO2' called a myth. i do think it's impossible to get all of the oxygen out. i am not certain the 'blanket theory' is a myth. it very well could be.

regardless, i always gas up my kegs with CO2 before i transfer. the fewer chances for oxygenation the better, i say.

I do a lot of cask beer, after I vent, whats left after 3 days goes into a keg.
I do the co2 first then put a hose on the cask tap and run it to the bottom of the keg and fill. Works fine for me, although I then kick in the turbos and consume it quick.

I'm with you, I think we drink it faster than it has time to make a difference...
FB

Just an update/finalization to the thread...about three weeks after pouring out of bottles into keg and still no off tastes...The problem is I just don't like the beer (was hoping appropriate carb levels would solve some prob's) lol.....it was my second batch ever (brewed last June) and was prior to controlling ferment temps or mashing more consistently...but a good one to experiment with re: pouring from a bottle into keg!

Latest posts

Back