Potential OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chicago_Eric_

Reaction score
I just brewed a toasted marshmallow stout. Though I screwed up and measured the OG before adding in the marshmallows. I got 1.053. Google says there's 580g of sugar in a kg of marshmallows which is what I put in. Does anyone have a ballpark figure of what that OG could actually be with the added sugar? This was for a 5gal recipe. Thanks

580g of sugar is 1.28lbs. Sugar yields 42 points per pound per gallon.
1.28 x 42 / 5 = 10.75. So 580g of sugar in 5 gallons adds about 11 points. OG would be about 1.064.

Edit: Sugar yields 46 points per pound per gallon, so 580g adds closer to 12 points, putting the OG at about 1.065.

580g of sugar is 1.28lbs. Sugar yields 42 points per pound per gallon.
1.28 x 42 / 5 = 10.75. So 580g of sugar in 5 gallons adds about 11 points. OG would be about 1.064.

Edit: Sugar yields 46 points per pound per gallon, so 580g adds closer to 12 points, putting the OG at about 1.065.
badass response

I have a question as to how / when you added the marshmallows? Did you use whole marshmallows or marshmallow fluff? I want to make a NEIPA with marshmallow. Thought about putting them in the mash, boil or conditioning on them. Just not sure and how much to give it a nice sweet flavor but not overpower it. Thanks!

I have a question as to how / when you added the marshmallows? Did you use whole marshmallows or marshmallow fluff? I want to make a NEIPA with marshmallow. Thought about putting them in the mash, boil or conditioning on them. Just not sure and how much to give it a nice sweet flavor but not overpower it. Thanks!
So I kind of didn't pay attention to the details of the recipe and tossed them in right after pitching. About 24 hours into fermentation I realized the recipe said to add towards the end of the boil so they fully dissolve. So I checked the fermenter and they were just partially dissolved. I decided to scoop them out and dissolve them down in a pot and then added them back into the fermenter. In the end, I think that caused the yeast to die out a bit sooner but I still ended with a 4.2% beer. It's a tasty sweet stout, but I would just say general sweetness, not much in specific marshmallow taste. I used about 2.1 kg of marshmallows for a 5gal recipe.

Back