Potential issue with White Lab Pure Pitch packaging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any one having lag issues with the Pure Pitch? I have to do at least 3 starters prior to pitching to a batch of beer before the yeast shows any significant activity. The first starter barely drops from the initial gravity. Manufacture date has no influence on this.

I'd just about guarantee you that the problem is poor yeast handling somewhere along the way. When that yeast packet left White Labs it was full of healthy yeast. If that weren't the case you'd read about viability problems here several times a day.

I only have access to one homebrew shop and when they used vials I didn't have nearly the problem with lag that I do now. Perhaps I can try and use another HBS when the possibility presents itself. Just curious if anyone else out there in other regions were experiencing the same problem. Most of the feedback from our home brew club members mirrors my experience.

Any one having lag issues with the Pure Pitch? I have to do at least 3 starters prior to pitching to a batch of beer before the yeast shows any significant activity. The first starter barely drops from the initial gravity. Manufacture date has no influence on this.

I pitched some Cali V from early January in a 1.050 batch of Pale Ale. No starter. At 61 degrees, I showed activity in 24 hours. I did something similar a few weeks ago and attenuation was spot on. Just my experience.

I heard Chris White speak a couple of months ago. He lamented about how starter volumes are small and that the starter really doesn't do much. I find that it starts a little slower than with a starter but the end result remains consistent. It pained me the first time to direct pitch, but Dr. White's take seems to pan out.

I miss the vials, but if you don't squeeze the packet when you cut it open, you'll be okay.

Even taking into consideration a lower starting gravity on a batch of beer, it would be very difficult for me to proceed with just pitching directly from a Pure Pitch. Not just using the starter for propagation but to make sure it's viable. Doing this with any liquid yeast regardless of manufacturer.

I did a 1 L starter this past Sunday using 029 and it looks like it hasn't done a thing. I'll check the gravity of it tonight when i decant just to see if it fermented at all. Thing is how can I justify just pitching it when it doesn't show activity in a 1 L starter.

I pitched some Cali V from early January in a 1.050 batch of Pale Ale. No starter. At 61 degrees, I showed activity in 24 hours. I did something similar a few weeks ago and attenuation was spot on. Just my experience.

I heard Chris White speak a couple of months ago. He lamented about how starter volumes are small and that the starter really doesn't do much. I find that it starts a little slower than with a starter but the end result remains consistent. It pained me the first time to direct pitch, but Dr. White's take seems to pan out.

I miss the vials, but if you don't squeeze the packet when you cut it open, you'll be okay.

I cringed when I did it the first time, but that's what the good doctor said to do. So far so good. I only say this because there has to be a happy medium somewhere between my story and yours. Someone previously mentioned that there may be a supply chain issue. It does make you wonder.

Maybe its just me, but all the yeast failures I have had over the past few years have been with White Labs. Maybe its a coincidence, maybe not, but Wyeast smack packs have never failed me. The WL Pure Pitch packaging is awkward.

Alright, just decanted the starter and it started showing traces of activity. It went from 1.030 to 1.024 over 2 days. Again this has been the norm for me ever since the transition to Pure Pitch packaging.

It is what it is, and my solution to get the activity I want from the Pure Pitch yeast prior to pitching is I have to do 3 starters over the course of a week prior to brew day.

Just getting tired of making starters.

I cringed when I did it the first time, but that's what the good doctor said to do. So far so good. I only say this because there has to be a happy medium somewhere between my story and yours. Someone previously mentioned that there may be a supply chain issue. It does make you wonder.

Are there visual signs of fermentation beyond your gravity measure? I can honestly say I've never measured gravity on a starter. What is your target gravity in a starter? What was OG?

I just use the same amount of water and DME on a 1 L starter and it's usually between 1.030 and 1.028. They'll usually ferment out between 1.011 and 1.002. I'll be honest I don't check that often, but decided to this round to have some evidence when I contact white labs about what I'm experiencing.

Are there visual signs of fermentation beyond your gravity measure? I can honestly say I've never measured gravity on a starter. What is your target gravity in a starter? What was OG?

Last 3 packets haven't shown any activity. Not sure if they froze on shipping or got to cold in my fridge but i am 100% done with white labs. Not worth it in my opinion.

Alright, just decanted the starter and it started showing traces of activity. It went from 1.030 to 1.024 over 2 days. Again this has been the norm for me ever since the transition to Pure Pitch packaging.

It is what it is, and my solution to get the activity I want from the Pure Pitch yeast prior to pitching is I have to do 3 starters over the course of a week prior to brew day.

Just getting tired of making starters.

Let it finish.
from 1.030 to 1.024
leave it on the stir plate for another day.

I was reading through White Labs FAQ and read that we can get reports on cell count on the packets we use. Just did a starter with WLP590 and it had a cell count of 2.83 billion per mL. This starter showed activity within 4 hours. They state the packets can contain 1-3 billion cells per mL. Wonder if some of my other packs were closer to the 1 billion cell count and that would explain the sluggish start. In going forward I will always check the cell count on these Pure Pitch packs and adjust going forward.

I read somewhere that the difference between a pack of White Labs yeast was determined by the lab for the type of yeast it was. Lower counts for yeasts normally used in low gravity beers and higher counts for a yeast normally used in high gravity beers.

I have only used one pack so far. The starter went as usual and the fermentation lag time was less than 10 hours. It was active by the time I got up in the morning.

I didn't like the pack, but after making a post about it I determined that if I shook the pack more to loosen the yeast I might have had less trouble getting the yeast out of the pack.

Back