Potassium metasilfite before bottling BEER

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

letsbrew

Reaction score
hi folks, anybody has experienced with metasulfite (the one present in wines) to give our beers more time without getting some contamination?

The beers are not sterile and always they will have some kind of microorganism (not just yeast)

If your beers has less than 100CFU/1000ml of beer they will be fine for a long time. ---Priest and Campbell in "Brewing Microbiology" say an acceptable figure for filtered bright beer is 100 cells/L before Pasteurization.--- I filter my beer with 1 micron pad.

But why not to use some metasulfite just to prevent.

Regards!

If you desire to bottle carbonate, this may not work so well. Enough K-meta or K-sorbate to inhibit bacterial reproduction will likely do the same to your yeast, resulting in little to no carbonation.

If you desire to bottle carbonate, this may not work so well. Enough K-meta or K-sorbate to inhibit bacterial reproduction will likely do the same to your yeast, resulting in little to no carbonation.

thats right but i always carb with a carbonation stone in the kegs and then if i need i bottle some beers

the sulphur molecule in metabisulphite will combine with any present methyl alcohol molecules (methyl alcohol is usually produced along with ethanol in very trace amounts), to produce dimethyl sulfide (DMS), which is a very undesirable flavor in most beer styles.

in general, you never want to add any sulphur-containing chemicals to beer.

the sulphur molecule in metabisulphite will combine with any present methyl alcohol molecules (methyl alcohol is usually produced along with ethanol in very trace amounts), to produce dimethyl sulfide (DMS), which is a very undesirable flavor in most beer styles.

in general, you never want to add any sulphur-containing chemicals to beer.

nice bro so i thinks most wines should have DMS or im wrong

Back