Post your infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The red ale looks like yeast rafts. No biggie. The bubbles were probably just CO2 releasing from the liquid from a pressure or temperature change, or maybe you moved it around a little while you were messing around with it and released some gas.

Day 6 of Primary for this beer. Started out slow, picked up on day 3 and spilled through the blow-off tube. Now it has settled down, not much activity that I can observe. The top of the actual beer doesn't look bad, just got this slimy looking krausen sticking to the bottle.

Any thoughts?

photo 1 (2).jpg

It reminded me of yeast bread dough, so I figured it would be okay. Just the first time getting a "slime" in there, which looks pretty weird.

I even wrap "Starsaned" plastic wrap around the rim.

You know, that's a good idea. Starting with this batch, I'm putting my fermenter in the basement crawlspace (out of the way and someplace the kid can't get to). I'm a little concerned about the dust/soot/debris in there, but figured it's probably fine enough. Didn't occur to me to saran wrap the lid.

Will have to do that with fermenter #2.

I'm wondering if I have an infection???

I have an Irish Stout that was in a primary 9 days and now almost 2 weeks in a secondary.

I have trouble getting a good picture but will show what I have. It looks like a slight sprinkle of corn meal is on the surface of the beer. No haze or swirls....just little specs on the surface.

I tasted it today and it seemed fine to me. The sg is not getting as low as I expected and does not seem to be going down any from a week ago. It is about 1.020.

I was going to cold crash this batch as I just got a fridge to allow me.

Questions.... Does it look like an infection??

Should I cold crash or just bottle?

irish stout.jpg

This is my brew that has fermented out and has an abv of around 8%. I soaked the oak cubes/vanilla beans in makers mark for about a month. After about 2 months in the secondary after i added the oak cubes, 16oz of Makers mark, and 3 vanilla beans the oak cubes showed a slight "growth" .....of what i have no clue. I removed the carboy from refrigeration (65F/ when the growth was very minimal/barley noticeable- i had to do this because i was lagering a beer at way too low of a temp) and it has been at room temp which varies from 68F-72F max. Since moving it into room temp it seems as if the growth on the oak cubes have moved onto the top layer of the beer in the carboy. The best way i can describe this "whatever" it is, is that it produces an almost oil/water separation between the beer and what i call a "biofilm" or oil slick look that sits on top of the beer. I have taken a sample tasting and did detect a bit of a souring more than i would have expected but i honestly do not know if this is attributed to the tannins of the oak cubes or the alcohol from the MM (side note: the vanilla beans did seem to impart a slight tart/sour flavor when i had tasted the MM,OAK, & Vanilla bean mixture prior to adding it into the secondary) I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this kind of infection and what can be done at this point [if my beer is infected] to diminish any negative consequences associated with this contamination?

photo 2-2.jpg

photo 3.jpg

photo 1-1.jpg

photo 1.jpg

Looks like mold growing on top of the cubes to me. I like to use chips. They work faster & less chance of this sort of thing. I also soak my cut & scraped vanilla beans in vodka during primary.

So any ideas on what i can do to salvage this batch?

depends on what you mean by salvage. only you will know if it tastes good with the infection but you will not be able to get rid of the infection. you can keg it and drink it if it tastes good or dump it, which is what i would do, and brew again. i like sour beer and make lots of it but i prefer to use known souring bugs from jolly pumpkin, russian river or some of the commercial yeast offerings.

Is my beer infected? I had a hard time reaching the target FG on this one, so per some suggestions, I pitched a packet of champagne yeast in hopes of lowering the gravity - modest results. It's been in secondary about 24 hours. I'm concerned because of the white spots/film at the top, which I don't remember having in my previous five batches, but maybe it's just the champagne yeast still doing its thing a little bit?

Beer infection.jpg

Is my beer infected? I had a hard time reaching the target FG on this one, so per some suggestions, I pitched a packet of champagne yeast in hopes of lowering the gravity - modest results. It's been in secondary about 24 hours. I'm concerned because of the white spots/film at the top, which I don't remember having in my previous five batches, but maybe it's just the champagne yeast still doing its thing a little bit?

hard telling what's going on there.

7 days in primary and the top was pretty clear going to secondary.
4 days into secondary and this has been slowly getting bigger.
Is she dirty?

unnamed.jpg

i just brewed a brown ale with wyeast american ale ii. looked just like like that after i transferred to secondary. it tasted fine at bottling. i wouldn't worry about it.

Long time reader, first time poster. I've been brewing for a while now, but still let my worry get the best of me. Anyhow, here's my hefe that will be two weeks old tonight. Is she going to be alright?

1400246594276.jpg

Hello fellow brewers!

This is my first post.

This photo is taken of my first brew ever.
This is Hambleton Bard Bitter exctract. It has sat 12 days in the primary. The fermentation seems to be over at FG 1.012. The yeast I used was Safale US-05. This is a bag of Citra hop pellets I just added before the picture.

How does it look for you guys?

olu-1.jpg

olu-2.jpg

Hello fellow brewers!

This is my first post.

This photo is taken of my first brew ever.
This is Hambleton Bard Bitter exctract. It has sat 12 days in the primary. The fermentation seems to be over at FG 1.012. The yeast I used was Safale US-05. This is a bag of Citra hop pellets I just added before the picture.

How does it look for you guys?

looks normal.

Infected not infected that is the question

Tasted fine, no obvious astringency, no funk, no sourness. Smells like beer. Gravity was as expected around the 1.013 mark. Yeats is US-05.

This is after day 16. I dry hopped anyway.

More of a close up

Hi all!

Just bottled my first beer. I brewed the 'everyday IPA' from Brooklyn Brewing. I noticed some odd looking white spots on the upper inside of the carboy (from the neck down to the beer level). Nothing much was floating in the beer.

I did my best to keep the beer from touching these spots as I bottled. Any idea what they might be?

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400691104.602499.jpg ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400691203.795233.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Krausen left-overs from when the krausen receded. Don't let the ring around the collar stuff get back into the beer. It's quite bitter...:mug:

This Belgian Tripel has been in secondary for over two months now and this week this just appeared. Anyone have an idea what type of bug it could be?

1400730187342.jpg

1400730201834.jpg

1400730217166.jpg

Back