Post NHC blues...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right. Oversold seats and lack of flights and planes caused this mess. Weather has been awesome the last few days.

I won't bore you with details, but they asked me to pay $50 today for the privilege of flying standby after they cancelled my flight!!!!!!! Then pay if I wanted to have a seat on the plane with "comfort" seating. Delta sucks.

Going to San Diego tomorrow, is it wrong that I was hoping they would hold you back one more day so I could meet and buy you a beer? :mug:

I didn't get to meet any one from HBT,our club served at social club on club night from 3-5 then at club night itself.
any one make it to our booth? we hade the lego movie as our theme.

every beer is awesome!

I made it to the booth during Club Night. I think I had a stout.

I didn't get to meet any one from HBT,our club served at social club on club night from 3-5 then at club night itself.

every beer is awesome!

Well, on the positive side, I'm sure I tried at least one of the beers there (since I remember the lego movie stuff). On the neutral side, I don't have a memory of it either way, which means they were in the decent range, but not either good or bad enough to have stuck with me. I remember the really good ones and the really bad ones.

every beer is awesome!

Yep, you met me then! I wandered over more than once.

Going to San Diego tomorrow, is it wrong that I was hoping they would hold you back one more day so I could meet and buy you a beer? :mug:

While I appreciate the sentiment- you suck! :D

PS. I never did find Yooper !

that's something of a feat. yooper was everywhere!

I had to quote this, because it totally cracked me up!

I did feel like I was everywhere- I was at Starbucks by 8 AM every morning, and at the 9 AM seminars. One evening, I left Soper and Sacc's room at around 3 AM, and bumped into people on the way back to my room and got sidetracked.

Even so, there were so many people I never bumped into while I did see many of my HBT homies and others. I did visit with quite a few people, and there were seas of people everywhere!

@Bokonon and I had a great plan on banquet night. We set up a "beer confiscation station" and had a great time with that. We shared some good beers with people that way!

To be fair, you are somewhat short... but yeah, everywhere I looked you were there. AND you accused me of avoiding you!

If you get a chance - meet the Yooper - she is a force to be encountered, savored and definitely hugged! For that matter - so is Toby, but less ebullient! Good to meet and drink with you both!

My fav part of this year's NHC was the Expo. I spent hours just walking up and down the vendor displays, drinking good beer (including pours from Stone and Ballast Point) and talking beer with the vendors and attendees. I only ended up attending 1 seminar!

BTW, they finally brought back the 'social package' which is $160 as opposed to the 'full conf package' of $240. I prefer that option as it gets you access to the pro brewers and homebrewer's night, along with the expo and hospitality areas, leaving you the rest of the day to tour the sights at the host city. Unfortunately, this package was not available when I booked earlier this year, but I'm hoping it remains an option for next year.

+1 for outdoor pro and homebrewers nights. Definitely helped ventilate all the crop dusting that usually accompanies these events :cross:

BTW, they finally brought back the 'social package' which is $160
i believe that ticket is only available to attendees who are accompanying a full-conference member. you can't buy a $160 package by yourself, you need to be the +1 of a $240'er.

however, i don't know if they ask for "proof" of your relationship with the $240'er - so it could be possible to get a $160 ticket by teaming up with a regular attendee, despite the fact that you're not "together" per se.

I won't be going to Baltimore either. When I lived there, I could name only one brewery within a 50 mile radius. From what I heard from the attendees who lived there, even though it has more breweries open in the past few years, it still has a lot of catching up to do.

NHC is not about the local breweries. It's about a whole NATION of homebrewers showing off their talents and gaining more experience by sharing ideas amongst one another.

Weather was a bit crappy for San Diego. Hurricane off the coast of Mexico had it overcast and misting a lot of the time. Weather at night was more typically San Diego, though, IME which was nice for the outdoor activities.

I disagree. I got to drive back to blazing F'n hot ass Phoenix. It was like 115 when Sacc & I drove in and it's been over 110 since.

every beer is awesome!

Look for people with HBT stickers on their shirts next time. I tried to have one on all 4 days and I'm pretty sure Yooper had hers on as well. We both were handing them out to anyone we knew was on HBT.

I disagree. I got to drive back to blazing F'n hot ass Phoenix. It was like 115 when Sacc & I drove in and it's been over 110 since.

Well, yeah, but that's normal for Phoenix, isn't it? I just meant that it was below average weather for San Diego. Last summer (August) in San Diego was beautiful. It was like Springtime over here without the rain. Sunny and 70s the whole time. I think I only saw the sun come out a couple times last week (although it was fairly clear at night).

Great meeting you in person too.

wah wah wah. at least it's a dry heat... i got off the plane at BWI (where y'all will fly in to next year!), and it was 96*F and 96% humidity. eff'ing disgusting. it hit us as soon as they opened the plane door. i just about crawled under a seat in hope to stay on the plane and return to the meteorological paradise that it san diego...

I miss the Conference as well! this was my first year going. I live here in San Diego and only a 10 minute drive from where the conference was so I figured it was the perfect time to experience my first National Homebrewers Conference. only thing that sucked is that it was during "June gloom" here which is the worst weather of the year. A week later and the weather is already back to normal.... gotta say though that I was a little beer'd out. Three days of beer drinking wore me out.

I miss the Conference as well! this was my first year going. I live here in San Diego and only a 10 minute drive from where the conference was so I figured it was the perfect time to experience my first National Homebrewers Conference. only thing that sucked is that it was during "June gloom" here which is the worst weather of the year. A week later and the weather is already back to normal.... gotta say though that I was a little beer'd out. Three days of beer drinking wore me out.

The burnout is more related to being a first timer.

I won't be going to Baltimore either. When I lived there, I could name only one brewery within a 50 mile radius. From what I heard from the attendees who lived there, even though it has more breweries open in the past few years, it still has a lot of catching up to do.

Avoiding certain areas of the country because you don't think the local beer scene is yet to evolve is doing yourself a huge disservice. If you want commercial beer, go to GABF. The NHC is about homebrew and local homebrew clubs. A lot of clubs just can't make a big move at NHC unless it's within driving distance. Did you notice Meadmakers of the Year and Gambrinus Club winners were in the Northeast?

this was my first year going..... gotta say though that I was a little beer'd out. Three days of beer drinking wore me out.

My first NHC as well and it was 4 days of beers of all kinds for me! Took a break on Sunday and did a tasting at one of our local breweries of 4 beers and a cider of mine on Monday.:ban:

Three days of beer drinking wore me out.

Only three days?!?! I was on a 12 day beercation- and I LOVED San Diego for that! Since I got my flight cancelled on one day, I had a bonus 13th day to go to Oggie's. Our motto is "It's not a sprint; it's a marathon"- pace is important!

I saw Yooper and Soper, but only managed to work up the nerve to say Hi to AZ_IPA. Because I wanted his beer. ;)View attachment 285603

I didn't know you were there! That's about two or three in a row that you've managed to avoid me. I would have loved to say hello!

Only three days?!?! I was on a 12 day beercation- and I LOVED San Diego for that! Since I got my flight cancelled on one day, I had a bonus 13th day to go to Oggie's. Our motto is "It's not a sprint; it's a marathon"- pace is important!

I didn't know you were there! That's about two or three in a row that you've managed to avoid me. I would have loved to say hello!

Next year!
We also ate at Oggie's. I ate too much pizza and didn't have room for beer afterwards :(

Yeah, well I live here so I just went for Thursday - Saturday. took an uber back and forth from my place to the conference since..I'm no noob when it comes to beer events, but I think what did me in is I didn't pace myself enough and drank way too much on pro brew night... gotta pace myself better next year haha.

on a side note. I enjoyed the presentation on the new HBC 438 hop. I'm super stoked to brew up a batch with it. I'm thinking of doing a pretty basic (maybe a SMASH) pale or ipa with it. Anyone else have something in mind that their brewing with it?? did you like the hop and the beers that they served brewed with it?

on a side note. I enjoyed the presentation on the new HBC 438 hop. I'm super stoked to brew up a batch with it. I'm thinking of doing a pretty basic (maybe a SMASH) pale or ipa with it. Anyone else have something in mind that their brewing with it?? did you like the hop and the beers that they served brewed with it?

It was an interesting talk, but I expected there to be a bit more discussion about what we should see from the hop, rather than the parentage (especially since they aren't sure what the pollen came from... possibly CTZ and/or Cascade? really?)

As for the beers they served, they were okay, a bit too bitter I thought. I did manage to get 3 oz of 438 and will be doing an IPA with Simcoe and Citra along for the ride.

Latest posts

Back