Post Junkies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More specifically known on sites like probetalk.com as "post whoring". Being retired affords me the luxury of hangin with you folks. I know i'm an old guy,perhaps cramping you young folks style. But you'll get your turn at my position soon enough. Then,it'll all be clear.;)

Well,I make some darn good ales,but no,I'm not master brewmeister. But I'm not of the belief that my post count makes me more valuable. I just try to help with my own knowledge & experiences. Some just like being mean & flaming me or others to make themselves feel more valuable than they are. Everybody wants to be better than somebody. Too many go around doing that,& ruin things for honest folk who don't play such high school games. Or,to put it more simply,if you can't baffle them with brilliance,befuddle them with bs. I just try to be honest about what I relate on here. That way,folks can learn something from me that I've learned for myself. More up close & personal that way.

Sorry, that sentence is pretty funny. Did you mean incoherent?

I agree though, usually you can tell who knows what they're talking about.

No, cohesive; as in they stay on track of what they are trying to say. When someone starts mentioning other topics to try to make them self appear more intelligent rather than staying on what the discussion is.

shutupjojo said:
Nobody has been disrespectful of me just sayin alot of peope here think they know more than others . . .

Respectfully, that doesn't make much sense to me. If they've been polite, what makes you think they're arrogant?

Respectfully, that doesn't make much sense to me. If they've been polite, what makes you think they're arrogant?

I think presumptuous is a better word. It's presumptuous of somebody to assume they know more about brewing based on the number of posts they have. Some people are cognizant about it and others are not.

No, cohesive; as in they stay on track of what they are trying to say. When someone starts mentioning other topics to try to make them self appear more intelligent rather than staying on what the discussion is.

Hmm.......now I'm confused........

I must not have enough posts to figure this out. :tank:

It's reverse of noob bashing. You automatically look at people with high post counts and assume they must think they know everything. In my case, I don't ever claim to be an expert. I just post a lot because I try to help people in the hobby as much as possible. What a high post count DOES do is offer more opportunities for people to evaluate what you have to offer. If someone follows your advice over the course of two years and it turns out to be helpful, the next bit of advice might also be useful. As a brand new poster, there is no barometer to go by. You can't walk in demanding respect. It has to be earned on the interwebs as in real life.

I'd love at least one example of this happening.

It's so random. I'm just saying it bothers me when some wanka with 3000 posts thinks his advice is the ****. It's not hard to tell the difference between someone who has brewing experience from those who are just repeating something that you or Revvy said for example and treating it like gospel. You haven't seen this? You guys are great , don't get me wrong but what may work for one person may not work for another. I have learned more here from people than anywhere else. There are just a few bigheaded people that pop up now and then.:mug:

Gee, I didn't know anyone actually lived in Dundee. I thought it's sole reason for existence was to bottleneck traffic on the 99E!

And what about the purple house coffee shop? When is that going to open?

Yeah, when is that going to open!? I live in Newberg and drive through Dundee on the way to McMinville and I've noticed that thing ever since we've been here (over a year now) with no action happening. Did they just forget it and leave the sign up?

Yeah, when is that going to open!? I live in Newberg and drive through Dundee on the way to McMinville and I've noticed that thing ever since we've been here (over a year now) with no action happening. Did they just forget it and leave the sign up?

The city of Dundee does not allow drive up coffee shops. The guy just likes to screw around with city. That sign has been there for 20 years.

I cut, built, and installed all the ornamental trellises and corbels on the new office complex at the end of Dundee. :D I guess it's a few years old.

P.S. +1 post

To the OP, the thing I do is when I find someone that post's to build a count.... go to the top toolbar, select "user cp" from the menu select "settings & options", click on "edit ignore list". Add the poster to your list... Done...

To the OP, the thing I do is when I find someone that post's to build a count.... go to the top toolbar, select "user cp" from the menu select "settings & options", click on "edit ignore list". Add the poster to your list... Done...

That's unfortunate. There are multiple post whores here who are excellent brewers as well. Not claiming to be one of them, but you'll miss out on a lot good advice if ignore them.

That's unfortunate. There are multiple post whores here who are excellent brewers as well. Not claiming to be one of them, but you'll miss out on a lot good advice if ignore them.

I agree, that's why I wait till I add a name. If the sum of the posts exceeds the advice given then I ignore them. It's like some Chatty Cathy at a party that blabs with no thought, I tune them out. If someone adds a nugget of information once in awhile I listen. I still follow your post's, thanks for the help:mug:

I can post all day at my day job but I cannot brew at that time. You're right though, I need to brew a LOT more.

yeah....so.....this is awkward......but....yeah....i was obviously joking.....man......this is awkward.....

I used to think along similar lines as the OP. Then I realized some people achieve their high numbers in the taproom. I look at the #s more out of curiosity than anything else. I try and look how at the information is presented and if it seems logical. I also don't worry about how a person spells or constructs a sentence. I've found that the ability (or lack of) to write (see some of my posts) doesn't have a direct relationship to how good or knowledgeable of a brewer they are. You should also look at the time of day they were posting. Anything after 9pm, ya gotta add a buzz factor.:D

I have pushed pohoing to the limits that I'm capable of in the thread killa thread. I wish the number didn't carry over to the rest of the forums, as my post count is mostly from TKT now (I am really at about 400 if you don't count that nonsense).
But it's clear if you think about it; that post counts don't matter at all. Now and then I've seen a true expert with under 10 posts give some of the most educated information I've ever seen on HBT. It's the content that counts. If you know a little about what your asking, you can see who really knows the answer, and who's just guessing.
The pohoing I hate most is people trying to help out, but not really knowing what they're talking about. They're posts might as well read: "I read this thread, and don't know the answer". Then other people have to read over this junk, and no one wins.

Back