Post conditioning refrigeration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PolishStout

Reaction score
Just a quick question. How long is the minimum recommended for refrigerating a bottle conditioned beer for proper carbonation?

Just picked up a 6-pack of some craft bottle conditioned pale wheat ales that had a good amount of yeast sediment. No idea how long the bottles had been sitting unrefrigerated on the liquor store shelf, I'm guessing a year as it's Southern Tier Brew Co's 422 Earth Day pwa. I put 2 in the freezer to crash cool them, and of course when I opened them there was a great *hiss* and a ginormous head when poured.

How long should I leave them in the fridge for the CO2 to settle properly? and will a colder temp get the CO2 to dissolve faster?

PolishStout said:
Just a quick question. How long is the minimum recommended for refrigerating a bottle conditioned beer for proper carbonation?

Just picked up a 6-pack of some craft bottle conditioned pale wheat ales that had a good amount of yeast sediment. No idea how long the bottles had been sitting unrefrigerated on the liquor store shelf, I'm guessing a year as it's Southern Tier Brew Co's 422 Earth Day pwa. I put 2 in the freezer to crash cool them, and of course when I opened them there was a great *hiss* and a ginormous head when poured.

How long should I leave them in the fridge for the CO2 to settle properly? and will a colder temp get the CO2 to dissolve faster?

3-5 days in the fridge

I've found 5 days in the fridge after 3-4 weeks at 70F to work better at forcing CO2 back into solution & stabilize. I also found using DME with can kits & extra hops,rather than dextrose to make a very nice balance with good head & proper ale carbonation. Imho,that's why I really needed the whole 5 days in the fridge. Opened 2 on the 6th day for my wife & I,& it was a tad better yet!
So experiment with room temp conditioning, & cold conditioning to find what's right for the style/recipe you've brewed. I'm learning more about this myself as I go from batch to batch.:mug:

If it has been conditioning for a year on the shelf, just chill for a day or so, then enjoy. A year is plenty of time for CO2 to be properly absorbed into the beer, regardless of temperatures.

No reason to wait.

I opened one of my latest after only one day in the fridge. Got 90% foam,so more fridge time helps to stabilize the CO2 going into solution moreso then just an hour or so to get it cold. That's false from my own experiments thus far.

If you reread the OP, he is asking about store bought craft brew that has beer sitting for a year. I'm sure the carbonation is stabilized.

Back