Post boil water additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HausBrauerei_Harvey

Reaction score
I've been doing water additions with great success for a few years now. However I'm a bit unsure on something new I was thinking of trying. I'm thinking of doing a split batch of a Belgian pale and a NEIPA this weekend. My water varies from near-Pilsn in the spring to this time of year it's high in sulfate. Right now it's Ca 50, SO4 123, Cl 97. If i was only doing a NEIPA I would just figure out how much CaCl I need to get the Cl way up above the sulfate so it's appropriate for a NEIPA, and add a bit of acid so my mash pH is 5.3

Now the catch is I want the Belgian pale (in a perfect world) to have a water profile of my current from the tap water. Could I just figure out the acid addition for the water without any additions to get my mash pH where I want it, brew up the wort, split the batches at the end, and then add the CaCl to the NEIPA batch to get the SO4/Cl up closer to 1:2? I know this will get my Cl up to where i want but i'm wondering if the extra Ca will further drop the wort pH, or Calcium only has that affect when it's added to the mash?

If anyone has any input i'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

Sallts will have an effect on the wort PH even post-boil, but the question is: "Why do you worry about it?" Everything from saccarification to IBUs extraction is a done deal by that point in time, so...

Back