post-boil filter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bru-ster76

Reaction score
When I conducted a system test with water, I ended up with some debris and mosquito's in the wort post boil.

I'm not overly concerned as they'll be sterilized from the heat, but I was thinking that I should strain the wort before going into the fermenter.

I am thinking of 2 ways to do it, and I thought I'd ask if one method would be better than the other.

Method 1. Place a nylon mesh bag in the kettle, around the rim and boil with it left in place. Everything that might land in there would be filtered out when it was drained through the ball valve at the end.

Advantage: No "chunks" would get into the plate chiller, and don't need to sterilize the bag
Disadvantage: Bag in the brew the entire time, risk of melting if it comes in contact with the bottom

Method 2. Use the nylon bag after chilling and filter chilled wort through it.

Advantage: Don't need as large of a bag
Disadvantage: Bugs & chunks go through plate chiller and could get stuck, and have to sanitize the bag.

Thoughts on this?

Or could I boil with a frying splatter screen over the pot the entire time without the worry of DMS?

Just pour through a sanitized kitchen strainer as you fill your carboy. It'll also help with aeration as a bonus.

Brewed the AHB pliny clone today and had to strain a few times with all the hops. Used a paint strainer as well as my normal kitchen steel mesh strainer and got mostly of it. Def going to use a bag for my hop additions going forward.

Well, after researching this further, I need to definitely pre-filter before hitting the plate chiller. I have a 304 SS elbow that I can attach to the inside threads of the brew kettle and was think if I took a piece of metal mesh and shape it into a filter and attach with a hose clamp, this would work. Is the metal used for hose clamps ok to come in contact with the wort like SS is?

Latest posts

Back