Possible Yeast Problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rporter

Reaction score
I just began my first batch of homebrewing with a kit for Belgian Wit Bier. I poured it into my primary and added the yeast and checked it the next day and the the airlock was bubbling pretty good. About 12 hours later I checked it after work and it had stopped bubbling. I haven't seen any activity in almost 24 hours since then. Is this normal?

No, not normal. Pack it all up and send it to me for proper disposal, lol.

Seriously, your primary fermentation may be finished. If it isn't then Houston you have a problem.
It may be that you tempertures where you are keeping your wort have dropped and the yeast have stopped fermenting. In that case raise your temps to the correct range, swirl your fermenter to get the yeast suspended and voila.
Is your airlock or other closures tight? Leaking co2 around them will prevent your airlock from bubbling.
Did you check your gravity to see if it was truely finished?

The temperature on the fermenter has been right around 72 everytime I checked it. I just took a gravity of the brew and it was at 1.015.

By the gravity I say it's about done. That's not to say you should do anything now. Leave it for at least a week anyways.

Back