Possible to make a single hop DIPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacob311

Reaction score
So I just got loads of free summit pellets and was wondering if it is possible to make a single hop double IPA? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I've never used Summit for flavor or aroma, only bittering, but from what I've read and heard it has a good orange zest and grapefruit character that would probably lend itself well to a DIPA, if that's your thing.

I made a single hop Mosaic DIPA last summer and it turned out really well.

Two hearted would be a single IPA at 1.064 and 55 IBU. I have done an all centennial brew that was into DIPA range that turned out well, though. Flying dog has done some single hop DIPA's, el dorado I think is the newest but they've done simcoe and citra also.

Go ahead and give it a shot. The hops are usually the expensive part of a DIPA, so it's pretty low risk/high reward.

Given that the AA on these is off the charts, you might even want to build a recipe with all under 20 minute additions.

The harvest of summit two years ago was so good, I used summit for like 12 brews straight. Did a DIPA that was fantastic! I've done a DIPA with just centennial as well.

I've made an all Summit IPA before, it was great. Lots of citrus, orange and tangerine flavors. Go for it!

Back