Possible to boil keg disconnects...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

illinibrew04

Reaction score
Is it possible to boil ball lock disconnects and keg posts to sanitize them? It seems like this would be easier than taking them apart. I know I don't have to technically sanitize them, but I do closed transfers when I rack my beer, so the beer goes through the liquid disconnect. Up until now I've just been taking it all apart and cleaning/sanitizing.

since you close transfer your beer make up 5 gallons of warm Star San and run it threw your system just like you do with your beer.

I keep a keg of starsan made with distilled water that I re-fill spray bottles from. I just attach the disconnect and spray a little starsan through (usually into a spray bottle so there is very little waste).

Yeah, I run starsan through them too, just anal about sanitation, and the little spring inside worries me. I haven't had a problem yet, so maybe I should just keep doing it that way. Thanks guys.

I've never found taking them apart to be too difficult, but you could definitely setup up a flow through system if you want it to be faster.

I see no reason why they couldn't be boiled except that rapid changes in temps might stress the plastic. Just a theory tho' based on the brittle nature of the plastic used.

Also, the gaskets might not like being boiled. Not sure what their preffered temp ranges are.

It's good to take them apart every once in a while regardless of cleaning/sanitizing method. If there are any hop particles in your beer they can get caught up in the spring

Don't neglect the gas disconnect. I'm firmly convinced that the gas connector/gas line is the source of many infections. It's fairly easy to have beer or beer mist backup into the connector and gas line if the pressure in the keg is higher than the line pressure. This can happen if you hook up the connector before turning on the gas. The built in check valves on the regulator help keep beer out of the regulator, but aren't much help in keeping the connector and the lower portion of the gas line beer free. Any contamination in the connector or line will get blasted directly into your kegged beer. I'm wary of using others CO2 tanks because of this danger. Most think that because the gas connector and line only carry gas and not beer, that there is no need to clean them. This can be a big mistake.

Don't neglect the gas disconnect. I'm firmly convinced that the gas connector/gas line is the source of many infections. It's fairly easy to have beer or beer mist backup into the connector and gas line if the pressure in the keg is higher than the line pressure. This can happen if you hook up the connector before turning on the gas. The built in check valves on the regulator help keep beer out of the regulator, but aren't much help in keeping the connector and the lower portion of the gas line beer free. Any contamination in the connector or line will get blasted directly into your kegged beer. I'm wary of using others CO2 tanks because of this danger. Most think that because the gas connector and line only carry gas and not beer, that there is no need to clean them. This can be a big mistake.

You would have to overfill your cornie for that to be a concern. I never fill past the weld line near the top.

You would have to overfill your cornie for that to be a concern. I never fill past the weld line near the top.

Not really. The short gas dip tube and the post can easily get beer in/on them when moving or transporting a keg. Beer can foam when transferring from keg to keg with a jumper hose. I'm not much of a gambler and it's easy to keep the connectors clean and sanitary. I never have infection problems. Not to say that I never will, but so far none.

I've boiled my ball lock disconnects before (both gas and liquid) and never had an issue with it.. just boil for a minute or so, and then remove them and let them cool off to room temp.

I've dissassembled and boiled the parts to both before with no problems (didn't know whether I should or shouldn't at the time, but no warping occurred so I still do it occasionally along with all the parts from my faucet).

They just unscrew. There's only 4 parts. They can only go back together one way. What's so hard about it?

(I only learned how to do it after I found a fuzzy disconnect in my keez. Until then all I did was dip them in some starsan between kegs.)

Back