Possible Stuck Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Br3wDaddy

Reaction score
HELP!

I may have a stuck fermentation. I am currently in Ferm of an Irish Stout. It was set to Ferm 2/7/2011 and noticed no airlock activity 2/10/2011. Ferm temp is a consistent 72F. OG:1.044 SG: 1.020 (as of 2/10) Pre-determined FG: 1.011. Yeast pitched at 73F. Am I stuck or is the the superman of yeasts...(Brewers Best Nottingham yeasts)

So to be clear... Your reading on 2/7 prior to pitching was 1.044 and your reading on 2/10 is 1.020? A change in those 2 readings means that your fermentation is moving along just fine. The airlock is not the most accurate way... in fact... its probably the most inaccurate way to measure fermentation activity. I'm assuming that you saw airlock activity on the days prior to 2-10? Judging by your readings it sounds like fermentation took off well and has slowed after 3 days... pretty typical actually. Although the yeast have slowed chances are they are still doing their thing... What you're experiencing with the airlock is probably the fall of the krausen (which is normal as some of the yeast cells go dormant) resulting in less gas being emitted from fermentation activity which, in turn results in diminished airlock activity. If you're concerned, Wait 2-3 days, take another reading... If you're still stuck at 1.020, start to worry about a stuck fermentation.... until then....

RDWHAHB:mug:

Exactly. But I was quiet concerned with the lack of Co2 expelling. But if its nobiggie it's no biggie. Thanks a bunch. I will check the gravity in a few hours and post it. Hopefully it dropped.

Back