Possible start of infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Resonator

Reaction score
So it's day 7 now, and most of the fermentation had occurred in the first three days. So I took a gravity sample, and checked through the airlock to see if the krausen had all fallen down. That's when I saw this.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1440092290.582782.jpg
Looked like strange large bubbles in a dark ring. Couldn't really tell so I took the lid off the FF to take these pics.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1440092434.600198.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1440092475.602158.jpg

It almost looks like an oil on water kind of thing in some parts of the dark ring.

------------------

Is this a normal yeast thing, or beginning of infection?

Should I try skimming it off the top of the beer before dry hopping? Or maybe use vodka in a spray bottle?

If it is infected, is there anyway to bottle it without getting gushers?

Those bubbles do look a tad suspect... but it's tough to tell.

It looks normal to me. If it is an infection it will begin to look much more suspect as the days pass. Since you are only 7 days into this I would put the lid back on and not bother it for at least 7 more days.

Yea :/

The OG was at 1.081 and the sample I took is at 1.018 -- which is what Brewers friend predicted as the final gravity. So the yeast is pretty much done.

Probably will wait a few more days for the yeast to settle, recheck the gravity and see if it gets worse on the top.

Now that I'm looking at this with better rested eyes I can now see what you are concerned about. I've seen that before way back in the day I did extract brews. It never caused me any trouble that I can remember. However, the beer never had an opportunity to sit around in bottles for very long either. Between myself and giving beer away to friends the whole batch was gone in two months. No gushers in that time period.

Yesterday my airlock started moving again, and its still going today. After doing some more research though -- I'm going to hope for the best and believe that it's just off gassing from taking my sample, and the stuff on the top is just hop oil.

Guess I'll find out when I dry hop in 5 days.

Latest posts

Back