Possible mead stall or slowed fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClawsMcPaws

Reaction score
Hello all,
The first batch of mead I started on Feb 25th progressed very nicely until recently. Started with an OG of 1.130, using just honey, water and mangrove jack 05 mead yeast. On March 10th my SG was 1.080and by the 18th had dropped to 1.062. Checked again on March 30th (when making my second batch) and was only 1.060, Checked again last night (19th of April) and was only down to 1.059. My temp is steady around 74, on March 30th I'd added yeast energizer and last evening I added another packet of the mangrove jack yeast along with the remainder (1-2grams) of yeast energizer. My must level is just under narrowing part of the glass carboy. Anything else I should do, I'm getting a ph meter this week from Amazon and should I add a bit more spring water in an attempt to 'unstress' the yeast?
Thanks all in advance for your thoughts an input

Pic from mixing day added for level reference

Attachments

• 20240225_125745.jpg
    20240225_125745.jpg
    442.1 KB · Views: 0
I would not add any more nutrient could add off flavors if the yeast cant take advantage of it.

MJ05 mead yeast I have not used. But for similar issues with other yeasts here is what I would recommend. In order.

If its still working although slowly you could just let it go and see what it does.

- Add a bit of water and stir or swirl
- Stir it or swirl it to get the lees back in suspension.
- Warm it up 5 Deg F ( It looks like this yeast can take the heat.)
- Yes, check pH adjust to 3.5 or so.
Do these and let it go a few days to see if it worked.
- Hydrate more yeast with some water and some of your mead 50/50. Let it go for 12 to 24 hours add another volume of your mead. Let it go again for 12 hours or so and pitch.

Good luck let us know how it works out.

The steps listed above should probably get you going.

I've tried that Mangrove Jack mead yeast about 3 times and, for me, I have not been happy with it. One of the times it stalled out very early and the other times I ended up with off flavors.

Back