Possible infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MN_Jay

Reaction score
6 weeks ago I brewed AHS Canadian Ale, it was my first full boil. It was a surprise opportunity to brew so I didn't do a starter for my wyeast smack pack. I pitched it as is and after 72 hours or so, still no activity so I repitched with some nottingham I had on standby. It fermented out very quickly (3 days) but I left it for another week in the primary then off to 2 weeks in the secondary. I then kegged it but noticed then that it was still very cloudy, even after sitting for 2 weeks. I kegged it anyway and let it condition for 3 more weeks at 12 psi. Last night I pulled a sample and much to my dissapointment, it was still extremely cloudy and had a fruity taste to it. Aside from the fruity pressence, it was very bland. I didn't open the keg to see if there was anything floating in there but I'm assuming I have some kind of infection. Thoughts?

6 weeks ago I brewed AHS Canadian Ale, it was my first full boil. It was a surprise opportunity to brew so I didn't do a starter for my wyeast smack pack. I pitched it as is and after 72 hours or so, still no activity so I repitched with some nottingham I had on standby. It fermented out very quickly (3 days) but I left it for another week in the primary then off to 2 weeks in the secondary. I then kegged it but noticed then that it was still very cloudy, even after sitting for 2 weeks. I kegged it anyway and let it condition for 3 more weeks at 12 psi. Last night I pulled a sample and much to my dissapointment, it was still extremely cloudy and had a fruity taste to it. Aside from the fruity pressence, it was very bland. I didn't open the keg to see if there was anything floating in there but I'm assuming I have some kind of infection. Thoughts?

It doesn't sound like an infection- usually infections taste BAD, like sour or bitter. If it's bland, it could be just the recipe. The cloudiness could be the lack of a good cold break, if you didn't chill it fast enough. The fruity could be from high fermentation temperatures. If you want to post your recipe and your techniques, we could see where the problem might be.

I don't have the recipe with me right now, I'll get it tonight but from what I remember it was a very simple recipe. 6.6 lbs of Pale malt extract. No specialty grains. A total of 1 oz of hops. I always cool to 70 degrees in less than 10 minutes with my wort chiller - I have very cold well water. Fermentation temps were in the low 70's, I probably should have had that a few degrees cooler. I'll look at the recipe tonight to see exactly what type of hops and the schedule and post back. Thanks.

Back