Possible Infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yard_bird

Reaction score
Howdy,
I brewed up a batch yesterday, and siphoned to the carboy to cool off overnight in my fermentation chamber before pitching my starter. This morning before I pitched (63F) there was some airlock activity. I pitched anyways (wlp008).

The vessel I used was a glass carboy that I had used for a brett quad about 4 years ago, nothing since. I filled it to the brim with star san yesterday morning and siphoned my wort about 8hrs later. New bung/new airlock.

Could I still have an infected batch? If my fermentation rips to a stable-ish gravity in a couple weeks, could I add a campden tablet to stop the potential funk?

Thanks.

It might be infected. Or maybe you are on a falling barometer and saw a bubble or two from that. Though I'm not sure how much a change in barometric pressure you'd have to have to get a bubble in the airlock.

It is one of several reasons why many of us like to use a chiller of some sort to cool our wort and pitch ASAP after the boil. Though plenty also cool overnight and pitch the next day.

I had a batch get infected after bottling with bottles that were previously used for a sour beer. I cleaned and then soaked them in a solution of chlorine bleach for a time then did my normal sanitizing routine and haven't had a issue since.

The infected bottles that were cloudy tasted a tad nasty. However the ones that I let clear up inside before consuming were somewhat a pleasant taste. Took quite a while for them to clear up in the bottle.

Don't know about using campden tablet on your beer at this point. I think that's more a wine makers thing for other reasons. But there are a lot of others that do use campden as a water treatment prior to mash that might know more about it and beer.

It might be infected. Or maybe you are on a falling barometer and saw a bubble or two from that. Though I'm not sure how much a change in barometric pressure you'd have to have to get a bubble in the airlock.

It is one of several reasons why many of us like to use a chiller of some sort to cool our wort and pitch ASAP after the boil. Though plenty also cool overnight and pitch the next day.

I had a batch get infected after bottling with bottles that were previously used for a sour beer. I cleaned and then soaked them in a solution of chlorine bleach for a time then did my normal sanitizing routine and haven't had a issue since.

The infected bottles that were cloudy tasted a tad nasty. However the ones that I let clear up inside before consuming were somewhat a pleasant taste. Took quite a while for them to clear up in the bottle.

Don't know about using campden tablet on your beer at this point. I think that's more a wine makers thing for other reasons. But there are a lot of others that do use campden as a water treatment prior to mash that might know more about it and beer.
Much appreciated, thanks. A chiller has been in the back of my mind for some time, but yeast equip and temp control took priority.

Good to know about your sour beer experience. I hadn’t had that happen with my beers before, but there’s always the chance.

If anything noticeable comes out of this, I’ll post an update. I like brett in some beers, and it may work in this biere de garde, though it won’t be to style I guess.

Back