Possible confirmation of no infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PearlJam

Reaction score
I brewed a pilsner on Thursday and decided to cool the wort down quite a bit, but not to pitching temp. Then rack to fermentation bucket and place the bucket into the fermentation chamber to cool it down to pitching temp. When I transferred the wort as I pushed in the airlock, it pushed the grommet through and it fell into the beer. I dipped my hand and arm in a bucket of sanitiser and then commenced to "fish" out the grommet with my hand. Thereafter it was without yeast until the following morning when I pitched the yeast. Today, which is 4 days later from the time the grommet fell in, the OG is still at 1.050.

Can I assume this is a sign that I didn't pick up an infection or is there infections that work slow at low temps as well?

Yes, lower temps will usually limit most organisms from chewing up your wort. 3 days is a long lag time even for a pilsner, so if you started at 1.050 and it's still there, you may have to take measures to get things going. I guess you'll find out in a couple weeks how things went. Next time, I'd recommend you leave the grommet in the bucket and keep a spare on hand rather than going spelunking for it.

Yes, lower temps will usually limit most organisms from chewing up your wort. 3 days is a long lag time even for a pilsner, so if you started at 1.050 and it's still there, you may have to take measures to get things going. I guess you'll find out in a couple weeks how things went. Next time, I'd recommend you leave the grommet in the bucket and keep a spare on hand rather than going spelunking for it.

Haha, had a good laugh at "spelunking"

I actually did first put another grommet on, but then got worried that maybe there is stuff growing in the grommet crevice and thought the lesser risk might be to take it out. At least I learned to be more careful when pushing in the airlock. I have another packet of W-34/70 in the fridge, should I just rehydrate and pitch that too?

sorry to say but you wouldnt be seeing any infection sign by now either way. if you think about it infections develop from v small numbers of cells, so take time to develop, just like yeast, although you pitched millions of yeast so you expect that to always be first on the scene.

dont understand why you let it wait before pitching though id always pitch as soon as possible to minimise infection. also as the above guy said thats a long lag time. what temp are you at? id try raising it up to maybe 15c and swirling the wort, then if it starts up slowly dropping it to where you want it.
by the way by no sign of activity are you talking about no airlock activity or have you looked for bubbles on the wort surface? plastic buckets often have leaks so no airlock activity is not nescessarily a sign of no fermentation happening.

in future id steer clear of inserting body parts into your wort, tempting as it may be...

by the way pitching the other pack might not be a bad idea. how much did you pitch originally and did you aerate? probably want at least two packs or a 1.5 ltr starter. if you haven't aerated id suggest shacking the fermentor vigorously for a couple of mins assuming its not already doing anything..

sorry to say but you wouldnt be seeing any infection sign by now either way. if you think about it infections develop from v small numbers of cells, so take time to develop, just like yeast, although you pitched millions of yeast so you expect that to always be first on the scene.

dont understand why you let it wait before pitching though id always pitch as soon as possible to minimise infection. also as the above guy said thats a long lag time. what temp are you at? id try raising it up to maybe 15c and swirling the wort, then if it starts up slowly dropping it to where you want it.
by the way by no sign of activity are you talking about no airlock activity or have you looked for bubbles on the wort surface? plastic buckets often have leaks so no airlock activity is not nescessarily a sign of no fermentation happening.

in future id steer clear of inserting body parts into your wort, tempting as it may be...

The reason for the wait is to get to pitching temp which I use a fridge for. It takes quite a while to cool it down to 25c using a tub and ice (I don't have any form of chiller). I did an Oktoberfest previously which I pitched at around 20c and then let the fridge take it down to 10c, but thought let me first go down then pitch with what I have.

I am looking at the fact that the wort is still at OG, hence "no activity"

I will let it rise a bit in temp

by the way pitching the other pack might not be a bad idea. how much did you pitch originally and did you aerate? probably want at least two packs or a 1.5 ltr starter. if you haven't aerated id suggest shacking the fermentor vigorously for a couple of mins assuming its not already doing anything..

It was 2 packets which I rehydrated. I did aerate through shaking the bucket for about 2 mins. I will add the other packet tonight just for what its worth

Back